• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Black Pill Looking thingy

Nick_XJ90

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i have had my XJ for about 2 years now and that whole time i have been trying to figure out what that:shiver: :dunno: :confused: Big Black Pill looking thingy on the front passenger side behind the bumper is. it is a 1990 with a AW4 and 4.0L non-disconnect front axle (found that out after i bought the posi-lok thing).

Nick B

It's a time capsule....from 1990.:D

These guys are spot on. It is indeed a vacuum canister.

That's the "black box", otherwise known as the "wheeling recorder". It will be salvaged by the NTSB for data regarding the downfall of your XJ upon it's demise.

can i move it somewhere so its not so in the way of me building a stubby front bumper cause i see some other XJs without it. and my cruise never worked since i bought it and A/c I live in Canada a few weeks ago it was minus 35 and now its only plus 4 and i am going to make a compressor out of the A/C anyways.

Nick B

fubar XJ said:
That's the "black box", otherwise known as the "wheeling recorder". It will be salvaged by the NTSB for data regarding the downfall of your XJ upon it's demise.

Yes on later model XJ's it was moved under the drivers side rear seat.

Serioulsy though what is that thing?

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:

-Alex

That is the evap emissions canister under the floor on the newer ones...

Seriously though, its a vacuum canister.

Ba-Riedo said:

-Alex
I think you are talking about the air bag sensor under the drivers seat. Vac canister on 97+ is still behind the bumper, I moved mine to engine compartment.

Nick_XJ90 said:
can i move it somewhere so its not so in the way

Nick B

I don't know, can you?

Its been done before by quite a few people, it isn't that hard. If you are building your own bumper then moving it should be pretty easy for you.

It's a tracking device installed by the government.

They're watching you, always watching you...........

97XJ Jeeper said:
I think you are talking about the air bag sensor under the drivers seat. Vac canister on 97+ is still behind the bumper, I moved mine to engine compartment.

The airbag sensor is under the console if I remember correctly.

fubar XJ said:
It's a tracking device installed by the government.

They're watching you, always watching you...........

See i knew it they were right there with a camera when my jeep tryed to fly didnt work out to well i drove home with a bouncing rear end so i went to 4-link rear and 3-link front

Prepmech said:
The airbag sensor is under the console if I remember correctly.
on my 97 it is under the drivers seat, I water logged it. now my air bag light is on. it still hasn't had the recall done on it. When the recall is done they move it under the console. I am just not that worried about my air bags to have the recall done. I think 99+ they started to put them under the console from the factory.

I removed mine when I changed my bumper. I just plugged the vacume line and everything went back to normal (cruise, ac, etc.) except for my air temp thing in the overhead console. Is this bad, should i put it back on?

Back