• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turn signal automatic shut off

matt1994xj

NAXJA Forum User
So sometime sunday the mechanism in the steering wheel that shuts the turn signal off after you turn the wheel failed. It doesn't shut off when i turn to the left but it does turn off when i turn to the right. Anyone know how to fix this?

Replace the turn signal switch. Not to hard of a job.

not hard of a job if you know how to do it......with that said.

in order to change it u need special tools to remove your steering wheel and the lock plate so you can get to the internals of the column.

i had to do this on my 92 xj, maybe newer models are easier to get to.

um should he not replace the cancelling cam instead? you know the white plastic ring inside the colunm? they tend to break...

anyone else have any input? the turn signals do work, just doesnt shut off when turning left. is the canceling cam easier to change than the turn signal switch? a canceling cam also sounds cheaper.

matt1994xj said:
anyone else have any input? the turn signals do work, just doesnt shut off when turning left. is the canceling cam easier to change than the turn signal switch? a canceling cam also sounds cheaper.

Hallo. I had the same problem. Easy fix,probably it is one of the two little springs. Sometimes they are broken.
Look at the write up from 5 days ago: the 88 switch ignition lock removal (writ up).:yelclap:
Shelbyluvv made nice pics. on #9 you can see one of the springs. You can also make your own tools for this job,if you are handy.

Last edited:
Back