• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering problem, somethings loose?

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
Steering is too loose, feels like its on ice or something. Tested down my road, when I turned the wheel back and forth the vehicle was slow to respond. It could not change direction quickly, felt like it was sliding almost. Im not sure how to check for tie rod or ball joint wear. Ive had it jacked up and wiggled a wheel but my steering wont lock so it just turns the wheels when I do that.

I know it needs an alignment because the drivers side wheel is toed out (but the other is ok) and the steering wheel is cocked to the right (about 1/8th turn) when traveling straight. However, it does not pull to either side, it tracks pretty straight on. [I know I could do the DIY alignment but I dont think that will solve the looseness, so I want to figure that out first, then align]

It probably was in a minor accident because there is light fender/bumper damage on the drivers side. Nothing is bent that I can see. What/how do I test to troubleshoot this? What needs to be replaced?

rammie said:
Steering is too loose, feels like its on ice or something. Tested down my road, when I turned the wheel back and forth the vehicle was slow to respond. It could not change direction quickly, felt like it was sliding almost. Im not sure how to check for tie rod or ball joint wear. Ive had it jacked up and wiggled a wheel but my steering wont lock so it just turns the wheels when I do that.

I know it needs an alignment because the drivers side wheel is toed out (but the other is ok) and the steering wheel is cocked to the right (about 1/8th turn) when traveling straight. However, it does not pull to either side, it tracks pretty straight on. [I know I could do the DIY alignment but I dont think that will solve the looseness, so I want to figure that out first, then align]

It probably was in a minor accident because there is light fender/bumper damage on the drivers side. Nothing is bent that I can see. What/how do I test to troubleshoot this? What needs to be replaced?

Have someone turn the wheel while you are underneath watching.......you might be able to see something that way.

My brother has an 89 XJ with almost the exact problem steering wheel moves a good 1in-1 1/2 each direction before it begins to respond at the wheels some odd tire wear havent began troubleshooting yet though (its steering is a HUGE difference from my 90 xj which has rther quick decisive steering to it)

X2 on watching with someone else turning, but make sure that you look at the steering shaft coming out of the column. It has a U-joint in it that may have some play.

My girlfriend and I fixed a serious slop issue on her '01 XJ's steering last night. Over the last couple of months, the steering has gotten looser and looser, and the wheel could be moved from the 11-1 o'clock position without any movement of the wheels. What was nagging at me was that while the wheels wouldn't turn at first, the body would move relative to the axle first, and then the wheels would start to turn. It turned out to be the lower trackbar bolt. It was very loose. I'm not sure what brand her aftermarket trackbar it is--it may be a Rusty's as the lift seems to be--but the side to side play, only about 1/4" or so, led to so much play in the steering wheel that it seemed dangerous to drive on the highway to me. Well, we tightened that one single bolt and all free play was removed from the steering system. She had been all ready to just buy a new steering box before I told her that we should really make sure we know what the problem is before she starts throwing hundreds of dollars in parts at the problem. In this particular case, it paid off big time in savings. After all, who doesn't have a couple of wrenches already, vs. a spare steering box.

x1000 on having someone turn the wheel while someone else carefully examines the steering system parts. In our case, one single loose bolt was taking all of the fun out of driving her rig.

--Wavingpine11

Back