• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Cherokee Crank Sensor

jolly_rogger

NAXJA Forum User
where exactly is the crank sensor on an 88 ? i bought a new one as i was having issues with starting and was told that it is on the drivers side on the bell housing but i don't see it. does anyone have a picture of it's location ? what is the best way to get to the sensor for replacement ? what will be the easiest tool to use (wrench or socket) ? any idea on size of socket or wrench ?

thank you for the help
kev
:scottm:
feel free to email me at [email protected]

Looking forward from the rear, the crank sensor is at roughly 11:00 on the bellhousing. It is actually screwed to the bellhousing proper, and not to the engine block.

You can just see it if you look down at the rear of the intake manifold, but it's easier to access from below.

You will need either a 7/16" or 11m/m socket (they're the same size, so use whichever you can get first,) with the following caveats:

1) You will need some sort of "flex joint" just behind the socket. Either put a universal joint on the socket, or buy a socket with the joint inbuilt (the latter is the better option - the extra inch of clearance is nice.) You will not need a deep socket for this.

2) You'll need about 24-30" of extensions. I got lucky, and scored a one-piece 30" extension a few years ago. I just use it for crank sensors - and it's already saved me $10 worth of time several dozen times over. If you have to "build" one from your toolbox, use the longest pieces you have (since that will reduce flexion in the assembled shaft. This can cause you to miss the screw heads.)

3) Pack the socket with grease when you remove the screws, and again when you install them. Pack the socket each time the socket goes onto a screw head. This will help prevent your dropping screws in the bellhousing (which is a royal pain to correct, and often requires removing the transmission.) Bubble gum will also work in a pinch - you can remove it from the socket easily by putting it in the freezer overnight.

4) DO NOT LOSE THE SCREWS! They've got a sort of funky shoulder on them, and I've not been able to source replacements anywhere. I've got an idea that I need to draw up, and I've got measurements, I just haven't had a chance to work on it. There's not a great deal of strength required, so they can be made from pretty much any hex bar stock on a lathe. But, it's easier to not lose the things to begin with...

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I'm hoping the directions will help. The bracket itself is zinc chromate plated (gives it a sort of straw colour,) and the sensor itself has a black housing. It sits in a hole in the bellhousing, and there may or may not be a dust cover in that hole (which isn't strictly necessary - out of five rigs I've had, I've only seen one with a dust cover...)

On the back of the engine where your ground strap is. Kind of behind that and lower. It is hard to get to. You will see wires running back there.

Back