• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ T-case grinding/ engagement probs

midmoxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, great forum here! I have searched all over the forum, got some info but no one seemed to have this exact problem. I just bought a 98 cherokee 143k mi with AW-4 and NP242 t-case, I tested everything out before I drove it home and it checked out. About a week after I got it, I was getting into some mud and put it in part time 4wd then I hear a grinding noise and the front wheels arent spinning. I stop, put the tranny in neutral, then back to drive and the 4wd kicks in right away? I took it back home and adjusted the linkage and after that it seemed to go in and out of 4wd part time/ full time and 4lo just fine. Then, today I took it out in the mud again, shifted into part time 4wd and I got the same grinding noise? It sounds like its not quite engaging 4x4, but if I shift to N then back to Drive it always seems to go in. It also has the same issue when shifting back to 2wd, it takes a while and/or shifting from N to Drive to get it to disengage. This Jeep was a DNR vehicle so I'm thinking it didnt see 4x4 most of the time, maybe I just need to break in the t-case and use 4x4 more often? I checked the t-case fluid level, it seemed to be fine. I dont know what to try next? Thanks for your help, zach

Well, if you've adjusted the Tcase linkage properly, then what may be happening is that the motor and/or tranny mounts are gone. If the motor and tranny move around too much, the linkage will be out of adjustment.

If the motor mounts haven't been replaced at 143k, then I would check that first!! If you can move the whole drivetrain around very easily, then you know that's the issue.

Thanks mjma I'll check that out! What about the 4x4 not being used, could that be a contributor or no? If the mounts do need replacing, do you know of some good mounts and where to get them? Are the rusty's mounts good? thanks, zach

Last edited:
I looked at the motor mounts today and they look really worn, I can move the engine a little bit with just one hand! Also this morning the xj developed a new noise, a loud clunk when going over bumps. It seems to be coming from right under my seat/feet. Looks like mounts may be the problem. I got under it and grabbed the t-case, I can move it about a quarter inch or so, is that normal?

For what its worth, you should be able to move the tranny a bit. A BIT, no more than what you have though. Mine does the same thing and I asked a good friend of mine's dad (who is a Chrysler Master Mechanic) about it and he said it is normal.

Anyone have a link on how to adjust the T case likage? mine pops out of 4 Low an I think that is the problem thanks.

I know your question is a month old, sorry for the late response.
to adjust the linkage on both the 231 & 242 :
1. take your shifter bezel off, and place the lever in 4 low (jeep has to be in neutral to shift into 4 low when its parked)
2. place a 1/8" spacer between the back of the shift lever and the shift gate, hold it tightly in place with tape/ cable ties.
3. get under the jeep ( put trans back in park/ chock wheels before getting under it) and loosen the trunion lock bolt making sure the rod can slide freely through the trunion; make sure the t-case is all the way in 4 low, the little arm coming off the t-case will be almost touching it. If its not, push the rod coming off that arm all the way toward the rear of vehicle.
4. tighten the bolt

Back