• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231J problems

nickjc13

NAXJA Forum User
i just installed an AA short shaft kit to my xj. i have a tranny drop kit. it will go in 4Lo without any problem but when i try to go to 4Hi the shift lever isnt where it used to be and the part time light comes on so i put it in drive and nothing. it isnt in 4Hi. is this a linkage problem or with the AA short shaft it says you have to cut the shift rod. i did not cut this. i dont want to cut the rod and it not be that and i cut it and now its too short or something. any help would be appreciated.

First, I would remove the Tcase drop. It's no longer needed!!

Second, you need to disconnect the linkage and check the shifting with the motor off. You should be able to move the shift lever on the Tcase up to the 2wd position with it disconnected. If not, and IIRC, there is a bolt in the back half of the Tcase that closes the hole where the shift rail goes in. Remove that bolt and then try to shift into 2. If you can then shift into 2, and there is a rod (the shift rail) sticking out of that hole in the back of the Tcase, you know that it's time to trim that biatch up!!

Once you've got it all taken care of, with the Tcase in 2 and the shift lever inside the vehicle in 2, re-connect the linkage and you should be golden.

nickjc13 said:
i would remove the tcase drop but i grinded off the bolt that sticks down out of the frame to the tcase to be able to install the drop kit

so the Xmember is only held on by one bolt on each side?? That's scary!

You should have got yourself a Mapp gas torch and heated those studs up for a few minutes and removed them, as the instructions tell you. As far as the cutting part of the shift rod, the instructions specifically tell you to pull the shift lever back to 4L, and then disconnect it, so it doesn't move out of position, then from that point you can tell whether or not the rod will need to be cut, due to it protruding through the hole as was mentioned above. There's a plug that covers the shift levers hole on the back of the case. Only cut it if necessary.

nickjc13 said:
my tcase drop kit didnt come with instructions and i removed the plug and shifted it into 4hi and it came close but it wasnt sticking out to where i could touch it?
I would suggest maybe getting in touch with the vendor of the product and explain what you did, perhaps they can help you out.

Back