• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump Job

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
So I this weekend I went and bought a remanufactured water pump for my 90 XJ 4.0, drained all the fluid and loosened the serpentine before I removed the pulley. Well I put the belt back on and tried loosening pulley bolts, but they aren't coming loose. I even tried loosening the bolt that goes through water pump to power steering, that is isn't coming off. Any suggestions to getting these off?

use two wrenches on two bolts- one tightening and the other loosening. Three of the bolts will come out that way, leaving you one that requires a new approach (as there wont be another bolt for the other wrench). For the final bolt, thread two opposing bolts in half way and put a prybar between them to hold the pulley and loosen the final bolt. It sounds harder than it really is, I swear!

I just tried what you told me shorty, this only worked for one bolt and that was the one that goes through the water pump to the power steering. This is the original water pump on this vehicle. This 90 XJ has 201,000 miles on it. I've tried using an air ratchet on the pulley, and I also did what you said with the two wrenches. Too make the long story short, the fan shroud now has a small crack in it. Which way am I supposed to crank these things when standing in front of the car?

When i did the waterpump i didnt even take the fan off. You can do it with it still on. I took the thermostat , pulley to the left of it. powersteering and brackett and then pulley on the water pump housing itself. as far as the fan i had the same problem you had. It didnt ever really get in the way enough to justify removing it. just some FYI

megabyte5689 said:
I just tried what you told me shorty, this only worked for one bolt and that was the one that goes through the water pump to the power steering. This is the original water pump on this vehicle. This 90 XJ has 201,000 miles on it. I've tried using an air ratchet on the pulley, and I also did what you said with the two wrenches. Too make the long story short, the fan shroud now has a small crack in it. Which way am I supposed to crank these things when standing in front of the car?

lefty loosey-- righty tighty. or to answer it like someone over the age of ten, counterclockwise. I'm not sure about fitting an inpact gun it there, but there shouldn't be that much effort required.

I try not to give bad advice, but I've been known to lock a set of vice grips on the pulley in a way that won't damage the surface and wedge them against a bracket to keep the pulley from turning. Kinda as a last resort, though as if you booger up the pulley you're gonna need a new one of them too,

--Shorty

P.S. if you haven't gotten any farther, think about returning the reman pump in favor of a new one. You usually get much longer service life from the new ones.

Back