• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HUGE death woble/bump steer...

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
i just finish my axle swap....took her out, every time i hit a bump it shakes horrible...my track bar is loose and ill try and tighten it tomorrow...and i also am usin different lower control arms, would that be a problem?! they are the same length too...

DW is so hard to pinpoint. I still have it on my jeep and I got new axles, steering, 3 link long arm the whole works. I am replacing the steering bos and installng a C-rok frame repair kit and will see what that does.
1st thing is to make sure EVERYTHING is tight as it can be. 2nd is to check your alignment and balljoints. Also check for play in the steering box by having someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at everything.

God Luck

hmm ok ill give that a try....

i tightened the track bar witha 2ft breaker bar and no luck... now when the jeep started to shake i looked at the tires and saw that the wobble from side to side badly...and my steerin has a lot of play?!

so the ball joint and wheel bearings could be shot then?! ill go check them thanks!

If your tires have not been recently balanced, get them done. Out of balance will magnify the problems....or start them.

i still have yet to do the tests, i will tomorrow, anyways i noitced the dw goes away when i turn, only happens when i hit a bump goin straight....

anyone?!^^^^

Have you had a professional front end alignment? What is the alignment set at? When you move the wheel back in forth do you see ANY movement in the track bar at eather end?

Also keep in mind that it can be in the steering box itself or even the uniframe could be cracked or the aluminum spacer could be shot.
Take for instance my setup, new axle, new balljoints, suspension, steering yada yada yada and still have DW. I will be replacing my steering box tomorrow and plating the frame so hopefully that does it but we will see.

All these are good suggstions, but dont forget about the steering box and uniframe.

Lata

get an alignment so you have a starting point. 99.9% in my opinion if you have everything tight you will just need the alignment. i had dw bad, enough to not drive over 35-40 on the highway without needing new underwear and alignment fixed it. i had previously gone through everything to make sure it was perfect and everyone on here said "get an alignment". drives perfect for 3 yrs now.

i should try that then... i give it a shot too!thanks!

ok so i check out everything steerin on the xj, the track bar is golden, the arms are too, i checked my tie rod and its so loose im surprised it didnt unbolt...i tighten it up and test drive ...... wallah its gone, dam im dumb and cant beileved i over looked that.... now i just need someone to help my with my strep abscess, and gas problem;)!! thanks every1!

Back