• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'90 D30: Non-disco, ABS.... 297's?

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I learn something every day with these dadgum XJ's. Here's the situation:

A guy calls me looking for a replacement pass. side axle shaft and unit bearing for his '90 Laredo. I ask if it's got the vac. disco unit, he says no so I gather his Laredo has the 242 t-case, non-disco axle and like all the other XJ's I've ever parted out...... should have 260 joint axle shafts. So, that's what I sell him.

He calls tonight and again confirms that he has a non-disco axle, but his Laredo has ABS with the sensor/ring on the stub shaft..... and a bigger bearing cap on the destroyed axle he's removed than the shaft I sold him.

I'd never heard of this before and had him measure the caps - sure enough, his busted shaft has 297's. News to me. I'd never heard of 297's in any D30 prior to '95.

So, he needs to get a replacement that works so he can keep his ABS.

I assume that the sensor ring on the original stub shaft can't be removed and placed on the 260 shaft I sold him right?

If he needs to get it on the road before he can source a correct ABS axle shaft, can he run the 260 shaft and disable his ABS? What's the best way? Remove the ABS relay/fuse?

Thanks in advance!

Yep, the ABS equipped axles had 297 U-Joints. I felt like a bandit when I sold my old axle for $20, got twice the core charge. Wish I'd kept those shafts after all.

Since his old shaft is trashed, I would measure the stubs where the tone ring mounts. It may be possible to remove the tone ring the same way you change a ring gear on a flywheel.

The Bendix 9 brake system is a real bear to stop without the electric booster pump. The few times I had to get the heep home without power on the brakes, I thought I was going to break the seat for pushing the pedal that hard. The best workaround for the system is to completely replace it with a vacuum assist booster, MC and PV from another XJ.

If the tone ring is the only real difference, I'd be giving that a hard look.

Frank Z seems to think that any ABS shaft from a ZJ will work........

Anyone know for sure?

YELLAHEEP said:

Anyone know for sure?

Yes the ZJ shafts will work because that is a common upgrade for the older cherokees due to them running the bigger u-joints. As long as there both D30's. And also providing they havent had aftermarket lockers with higher sline counts installed.

YELLAHEEP said:

Anyone know for sure?

Just make sure that the ZJ tone ring has the same number of teeth.
Early XJs had twice as many teeth on the tone ring.

Back