• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frame reinforcement help?

Check out frame stiffeners. There's a few companies that make them. Easy install also.

TNT Frame stiffeners require welding. I don't know of any companies that would be bolt on. I don't think that would be that strong considering the Unibody of the Cherokee.

I went with T&T frame braces, connected them to a 3/16th plate up front that also seconds as an outter steering box brace, then when I do my d-60 swap Ill cut some rear plates. Then Ill have a XJ w/ a real frame!
The T&T Customs braces are well worth the money, make sure you invest in a good step bit (no harbor junk crap), cut some roset weld holes in them before you install them. Then just make sure your gear box is plated, T&T and C-Rok both make kits for that.

The uni-body is not as week as people think, i would not weld to it, a bolt through with anti-crush sleeves maybe. Stiffen the chassis via rock rails, skids, class III/IV hitch...all of these contribute to firming it up. Foam blown in down the channel is a great stiffening tecnique used on some newer vehicles from factory is an option and also reduces noise. -B

boomhauer said:
The uni-body is not as week as people think
I can show you where mine isn't straight anymore from a hit on a rock ledge that wasn't hard.

Begster said:
I can show you where mine isn't straight anymore from a hit on a rock ledge that wasn't hard.

Lol, i knew that was coming. It's definitely not a frame that's for sure, my only point being welding to that thin of a metal my reduce it's integrity if not done correctly and may actually cause cracks instead of bending. I may be wrong, but i wouldn't do it to mine. -B

Although they did a great job welding to the unibody in the '10 day JeepSpeed XJ' in JP magazine a while back. You should be able to get it from their website. They built it like a tank! lol

Last edited:
not necessarily..... if you know what to do to weld them on well, and avoid warpage, weakening, etc. you're probably ok...

Back