• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how long would this combo last?

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
I have a d35 under my 89 xj. Im debating between a 8.25 or spend more money and get the bolt up dana 44. Either way rear locker and 456's. But this is my dilemma i plan to run paddle tires for deep mud and sand. And im not going to pussy foot it around. Do u think a 8.25 would hold up for me in these conditions? the paddle is a 29inch tire. Here is a pic.
TonysJeepproject035.jpg

In mud deeper then this and sand.
TonysJeepproject084.jpg

I'd be more worried about the front axle and shafts. and anything but the d35

Wow - I don't have any experience in mud/sand activities, but it sure seems to me that having to subject a locked-up D35 or 8.25 is likely to result in a whole lot of broken axle shafts.

I hate to think what that front D30 is gonna do too.......

Yikes.

find a D44 (even if its from a waggy, it'll bolt up), and some chromoly for the D30. I'm just south of you and there are a ton of 44's laying around down here. If you lock that 8.25, you will break shafts with paddle tires, most likely your first trip out. Dont waste your money trying to upgrade that thing. An even better idea might be to look for an 8.8 from an Explorer. Theyre already leafed and most of the newer ones have disk brakes. Theres a yard there in Cincinatti that has quite a few of them for $225.

Do at D44s f/r or the 8.8 out back. But running paddles front and rear will make your axles very unhappy, particularly a D35 or D30.

Back