• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boot over splines on rear driveshaft

mfascuba

NAXJA Forum User
How do I get the rubber boot off of the front of the rear driveshaft without destroying the boot? It's a 1997 XJ sport, 4WD. Just got it, going over it and fixing all of the stuff that can leave me by the side of the road and the U-joints are on the list.

Help?

Thanks,

Mark

I've got an '88 (no boot) but IIRC, cut the clamp and replace it when done. I could be wrong and more ofter than not, when I think I remember something, I'm wrong-- but I seem to remember you just cut the clamp

mfascuba said:
How do I get the rubber boot off of the front of the rear driveshaft without destroying the boot? It's a 1997 XJ sport, 4WD. Just got it, going over it and fixing all of the stuff that can leave me by the side of the road and the U-joints are on the list.

Help?

Thanks,

Mark
There are metal "band type" clamps holding the boot on. You have to get a small flathead screwdriver and pry up on part of it and then it should come apart after lifting it off the pried up "tab".

Back