• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water out my exaust

impetus-93xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have more water coming out of my exhaust than usual and my o2 sensor code is flashing,Is this related ? please help , thanks

Yes. If your 02 sensor is bad, it's giving the ECU wrong information, so your injection and spark timing isn't being optimized. That would explain excess water - or unburned fuel - coming out of your exhaust.

xj2win said:
Yes. If your 02 sensor is bad, it's giving the ECU wrong information, so your injection and spark timing isn't being optimized. That would explain excess water - or unburned fuel - coming out of your exhaust.

He must have one of those engines that runs on water? So who cares if he isn't burning it all, water's cheap!

The 2 main products of burning gas are C02 (Gore's glacier killers) and H20 (water). If you see the water that just means your exhaust pipes are cool and it has nothing to do w/ the 02 sensor. Too much gas will come out as black smoke/soot, not water.

The water dripping and 02 code are unrelated.

If his pipes are cold and too much fuel is being injected, incomplete combustion will occur, and his catalytic converter will also be cold, so the unburned fuel could make it out the tailpipe in gasoline form. Not saying that's what's happening, but it's possible.

If liquid gas is making it out the tailpipe it would reek. Anyone with a working nose could identify that. And gas mileage would probably be in the low single-digit range. The gas would wash the oil off the cylinders resulting in sever wear. There would also be gas in the oil.
I doubt this is the case but a quick sniff would let you know.

no gas just water. I guess I just didn't notice the water before. but the o2 sensor code is still an issue. how do you test it ?

there cheap to replace and easy not to mention youll get better fuel mileage eventually paying for it anyway. i know you can use an ohm meter to test it but you would have to know what voltage it is supossed to put out in certain conditions.

sence its a voltage thing i would assume the computer would know when it went out correctly but i may be wrong

Last edited:
Back