• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's transfer case skid hitting exhaust?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have a problem with their Rusty's transfer case skid plate hitting the exhaust on the passenger side of the skid plate, near the cross-member? I did a test fit the other day, and it doesn't seem like it's going to fit right unless I cut a bit off the one side to allow room for the exhaust. Maybe I didn't have it test fitted right, but it sure seems like I'm not going to have enough room to get it on there right.

If anyone else has had an issue with this, please let me know. I have a '99 XJ and swapped in a 231 to replace my 242 transfer case but don't think that this should effect at all how it should fit on there. I run the Rusty's long arm kit with their crossmember, so as far as I'm concerned, they should match up perfectly...

Nobody else has had this problem?

EvanH said:
maybe you should wait more than 16 hours for a response :D
Thanks for your helpful response. :looser:

What could cause my exhaust to hang too low? It's got the factory hangers on there and everything seems to be exactly where it needs to be. Am I overlooking something?

all the factory hangers?? What about the one that connects to the tranny mount and holds the pipe right next to the cat?? You said you've got rustys Xmember. Maybe you no longer have that part??

If there is room to move the pipe up, just cut it and put a double female connection in the cut, push it up more, and weld away!

I think pics would help alot here.

My exhaust is above the crossmember, nowhere close to the (rustys)skid.

Hale

I had that issue, but not bad. For me, it was one of the exhaust clamps that was hitting. I just had to cut it off and replace with a new clamp. The new clamp was bolted on rotated 45 degrees. It is close, but doesn't hit.

Well I got my Rustys skid plate installed a while back and now am getting around to posting pics. This shows the cuts that I had to make to make it fit right. Two were so that it didn't hit the exhaust. The other one was to fit around my rock rails that are connected to the unibody frame.
DSC00837.jpg

DSC00840.jpg

Once I made these cuts, it fit perfectly. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rustys.

I think that says it all.

His skid plates are actually built very well. Do your homework.

How are your motor mounts and tranny mount? If those are worn out, they'd cause it to hang lower....

Motor mounts were replaced about a year ago, and the tranny mount looks good, from what I can tell. I think that the clamp that you can see in the picture is maybe just longer than normal?

jeeperguy21 said:
Motor mounts were replaced about a year ago, and the tranny mount looks good, from what I can tell. I think that the clamp that you can see in the picture is maybe just longer than normal?

my $5 is on your tranny mount. my exhaust rattled on my crossmember, and now sits high and tight after doing the trans mount. i believe putting in my trans drop shot the trans mount. after I took the drop out I had all of my trans mount problems.
a shot trans mount looks just like a good one side by side, unlike motor mounts.

x2.4

jeeperguy21 said:
His skid plates are actually built very well. Do your homework.

I've done plenty of homework. And your results show otherwise.

If you've done you're homework, then you can see that my rig must have something wrong with it that would cause the skid plate to not fit right. No reason to harp on Rustys for my defective ride.

Back