• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I drive around with my front driveshaft out???

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
Can I drive my 89 cherokee with the front driveshaft out for a couple days without any problems???

Rubbish, I used a rubber surgical glove to cover mine when I broke it on the trail just to keep dust out. No fluid loss.

A better question might be, "Can I get better gas mileage if I take out my front drive shaft."

How 'bout it Jeeple? Anyone improve their overall milage by decreasing their off-road capability?

Buy lockout hubs for a grand if you really think that will help your gas mileage. The reason that 2wd jeeps got better gas mileage was less weight. Or so I believe.

-Alex

I thought it was because only sissies drove them so they never really used the gas peddle.

I'm usually too busy driving your sister to get another ride.

You know the bumper sticker:

"My other ride is your sister"

85xj4dr said:
Absolutley not. It will fold like a taco.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Sure, it will fall apart after about 10’ of driving, but it will only fold like a taco if you remove the hub caps (and in rare cases, the rear window wiper). Without hub caps the whole frame becomes one giant, wet tortilla. Not a very good design at all.

Back