• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering pump upgrades

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
I did the spring trick to increase the output of my stock pump but it only lasted a month. I need a new pump and was wondering what anybody knows about the pumps offered by AGR and PSC. Is it worth it to upgrade all the way up to the different style p pump or just one of their modified stock pumps. Any pump advise would be cool. Here is a link to PSC:http://www.pscmotorsports.com/index.php?cPath=138_173_179

AGR:http://www.agrperformance.com/products_parts.php?cat=101&product=118&make=Jeep&model=114

Watch your fluid temp. Just touch your pump after a hard run or two on a hot day. No need for a gauge. If you can't hold to it for very long a cooler may be needed. A loop or two of steal tubing in the return line is all that is generally needed. This can be mounted on the motor just as long as a good flow of FAN air can hit it.

I've read TONS of info on power steering stuff, both here and on Pirate, and in many conversations. There is no real consensus on the subject. People have had good and bad experiences with every possible product and setup. A couple of things seem to be consistant. You need a cooler, which can be a small size trans cooler, it's very simple to install one in the low pressure return line. If you are having problems with parts going out (this one is a tough one), like replace a pump and then it goes out again, the actual problem can be contamination in the system, metal flakes from the failed part in the fluid that eventually take out the new part. You're not there yet, but many of us did not fix ongoing power steering system problems until we replaced every part in the system. Beyond that, everyone's experience and success is extremely varied. One thing, a TC pump that has the pressure bumped up too much can have a short life, especially if it's a used pump.

Relating to your specific question, while some have had problems with both an AGR or PSC pump, most people have had good experience running the modified pumps. I have an AGR pump on the XJ that has run trouble free for at least 8 years, both with and without ram assist. I ran a PSC pump on the buggy, but had issues with other parts in the system and replaced everything, and now run a Tommy Lee (Lee Mfg) modified TC pump. I will say that folks that make the jump to the P pump seem to be very happy with it, and it is a good pump for running assist or anything else that you might do with the steering down the road.

Funny I did notice it gets weak when it gets hot. I'm going to the parts store to get a cooler. I also found this tidbit and performed the mod this morning. http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/67html It is hardend steel so I reamed it out with a gun file. Seems to have helped but I never got it real hot to test it.

The comment by Goatman about the contamination is dead on. As your pump wears it is recirculating fine particles that act like lapping compound. This is why we run a Howe reservoir with a filter. Pumps rarely fail with that setup.

Yeah, I run a filter now on the buggy. Mine is a very simple inline filter from Tommy Lee, it goes inline on the return hose, just like the cooler.

Back