• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Pilot Bushing

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping a manual trans engine into an automatic trans Jeep Cherokee, 99 model year. I got the needle bearing pilot bushing out but how do I get the pilot bushing out? This is the part the needle bearing sits in. HELP!!!!!!! It doesn't have a lot of lip to use a tool on or anything.....I will get a pic up in a bit...........

go to your nearest parts store and rent/borrow/buy a pilot bearing puller. once you have the tool, you'll know how to use it and it'll take you like 30seconds.

OR

find a bolt or something that fits very snug inside the pilot bearing. then fill the hole with as much grease as possible. stick the object in the hole and tap it firmly (but don't wale on it) in. remove it and add some more grease and repeat. the heavier the grease, the better it works. when you tap the bolt, rod or whatever you're using in, the grease will try to get away and start to push the pilot bearing out.

OR

go rent/borrow/buy a pilot bearing puller. it's so much easier. and you don't run the risk of scarring up the orrifice and not being able to get the new pilot bearing in properly.

scorpio_vette said:
go to your nearest parts store and rent/borrow/buy a pilot bearing puller. once you have the tool, you'll know how to use it and it'll take you like 30seconds.

OR

find a bolt or something that fits very snug inside the pilot bearing. then fill the hole with as much grease as possible. stick the object in the hole and tap it firmly (but don't wale on it) in. remove it and add some more grease and repeat. the heavier the grease, the better it works. when you tap the bolt, rod or whatever you're using in, the grease will try to get away and start to push the pilot bearing out.

OR

go rent/borrow/buy a pilot bearing puller. it's so much easier. and you don't run the risk of scarring up the orrifice and not being able to get the new pilot bearing in properly.

Please reread what I wrote, I got the pilot bearing out. This is the big thick piece of round metal that the pilot bearing gets hammered into, it's not the actual bearing itself. I know the trick you mention about filling it with grease. See photos below, this is the piece I need to get out:

pilot02.jpg

pilot03.jpg

I got it out. Had to rent what's called a "Blind hole puller" from autozone. Worked great, out in 2 minutes!

Back