• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yep, another electric fan question. Triple 1500CFM 10" Zirgo's

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
So, the electric fan in my 00XJ exploded :laugh:

Rather than spend $150 at least on a new electric for it, I'd rather spend $250 and get premium cooling. I'm considering running three Zirgo 1500CFM 10" fans. They're a good quality fan.

My question is this, has anybody attempted this and how well does it work? Anybody RUNNING 3 fans?

Also, how would I hook these up? Should I hard wire them with a switch? Or hook it to a temp switch?

Blaine B. said:
I'm running 3 10" flex-a-lite fans.

Are you saying your Zirgo fans pull 1500cfm EACH? That's alot for 10"!!!!

The 10" zirgos I've seen have only been 1050-1200cfm ea.

Link to 1500cfm 10" fans?

fwiw, you can get a replacement fan for $110 from Quadratec. http://www.quadratec.com/products/51203_04.htm My mechanical fan clutch blew up last April, then my electric fan threw a blade last fall. I just went with the normal replacements for both, didn't have time to look for upgrades.

boomhauer said:
I run a stock electric and got rid of the mechanical for one of these...(Perma-Cool 14" pulls 2950cfm)
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+400006+4294838842+4294783097+115+4294791511

which is then run to a Flex-a-lite temp control. -B

I'm on the 2nd Permacool 14" aleged 2950cfm. The pin holding the blade to the shaft fell out on the first one so Summit replaced it. I've had the replacement in through last summer till now. I can already hear the fan rattling on the shaft.
I also don't believe it's putting out anywhere near 2900 cfm. The stock electric (in a 96 so the newer design?) feels like it moves a lot more air. I don't think the blade design on the Permacools is that good, kind of like a flex-a-lite, a piece of aluminum bent at an angle. No where near as efficient as the curved blades on the stock electric or some of the other aftermarket fans, in my opinion. I'm thinking of getting another stock electric from the JY and replacing the permacool & see how that goes.
I'd also like to get a 2nd fan controller so the fans come on in stages as opposed to all-on or all-off.

crikey, all to avoid the mechanical fan.

sjkimmel99 said:
I'm on the 2nd Permacool 14" aleged 2950cfm. The pin holding the blade to the shaft fell out on the first one so Summit replaced it. I've had the replacement in through last summer till now. I can already hear the fan rattling on the shaft.
I also don't believe it's putting out anywhere near 2900 cfm. The stock electric (in a 96 so the newer design?) feels like it moves a lot more air. I don't think the blade design on the Permacools is that good, kind of like a flex-a-lite, a piece of aluminum bent at an angle. No where near as efficient as the curved blades on the stock electric or some of the other aftermarket fans, in my opinion. I'm thinking of getting another stock electric from the JY and replacing the permacool & see how that goes.
I'd also like to get a 2nd fan controller so the fans come on in stages as opposed to all-on or all-off.

crikey, all to avoid the mechanical fan.

Mine makes the same noise when shutting off, the pin is in there good and it does have play on the shaft as it's not a pressed fit, i'm not worried about it. My fan will suck a sheet of loose leaf to the grill and i have no doubts as to it's cfm rating. My Flex-a-lite controller is temp sensitive, it a dial, i tell it when to turn on/off, my secondary fan comes on about half of what it used to. What condition is your rad in? if the cooling fins are all bent or it's clogged with bugs and mud, nothing will suck through that...except my ex-wife. -B

boomhauer said:
nothing will suck through that...except my ex-wife. -B
Oh! Wicked burn!
KELSO_02-thumb.gif

Back