• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling engine

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
I have all electrical and misc. connections loose from my engine. The one thing remaining are the two motor mounts. The tourque converter bolts are also out. So before I go pulling and yanking to get it separated from the tranny does anyone have any advice to give me before I do this?

I figure there are several of you that have already pulled an engine before (Mine is a 99 Cherokee by the way) and might be able to give me some do's an dont's before I yank it out. One think I see that is really in the way and pissing me off with each knuckle wrap on it is the exhaust, I'm thinking it would be worth the time to just take it completely off and get it out of the way. Do most people drop the tranny some to get the engine out? I read where they drop it to get the top two bell housing bolts out but what about with the engine removal? Also, the motor mounts. To me, it looks like that if I pull the large bolt out that the mount will hit side to side trying to get the engine out, true false?

Anyway, any stories/tips to share???

Thanks, Dean

all this is from a 89 and a 92 so yours might be a little different.
Yep, tilting trans down will help greatly, be very carefull, if you get the trans cockeyed or put weight on the torque converter it can mess up your trans pump. I would just drop the whole transmission/tcase. As for the exhaust I took the intake off, then was able to unbolt the exhaust. for the motor mounts, I undid the mount to frame bolts and took the mounts out with the engine, 1 bolt on the top and there is a nut on the bottom side, I might have that backwards though. If you plan on reusing the oil filter mount dont bang it around to much, they can be pretty fragile.

remove your crank position sensor from the bellhousing.

Remove the engine with the tranny attached is my advice. Alot easier than aligning everything and bolting down in the Jeep. That is if the engine is going back in the Jeep.

coastie124 said:
Remove the engine with the tranny attached is my advice. Alot easier than aligning everything and bolting down in the Jeep. That is if the engine is going back in the Jeep.

x2 even if its not goin back in its a lot easier to line the engine and tranny up when its not in the jeep. also i remove as little in the jeep as i can get away with...

here it is coming out of my donor 2door
day-2_04.jpg

and here is the one coming out of my dd
Day4ish_07.jpg

the first time i did this last summer i removed intake/exhaust and left the tranny in the jeep. i will say that was much more time consuming. if you pull everything at once make sure you have a couple of strong hands cause it needs to be man handled to get over the front crossmember

good luck! its a fun process and you learn a ton about your jeep... also before you pull it mark all your tubes and plugs...

Back