• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

backup lights

waserwolf

NAXJA Forum User
would like to install some aftermarket backup lights into the rear bumper, had a look at some oval driving lights at a trackter trailer store which would work well, looking for a response and pics from anyone who has already done this. Thanks

You're going to want more of a "flood beam" than a "driving beam." You can then use a relay, triggered by the OEM reverse lamps, and have a separate power feed to the added lamps (running them off of the OEM reverse lamp switch is a great way to blow out switches.)

Having a switch to "enable" or "disable" the relay isn't a bad idea, that way you don't always have them coming on in town and run the risk of getting an equipment ticket. I'd have to check for your year (or your FSM will tell you,) where the reverse lamp wiring breaks into the cabin - but I think you can get to it, if it runs down the driver's side doorsill. Else, you'll have to run leads to the switch in the back.

Hammered said:
what about some white LEDs? *** 5-90... will these harm the stock system / wiring / switches?

White LED replacements for the OEM 1156 bulbs? No. But, any auxiliary lighting should be triggered with a relay, and should have an override switch so you can force them OFF when you don't really need them (to avoid trouble with John Law...)

i've got some cheap wal-mart lights on the back. the 4x6" with the plastic stone guards. they hang down pretty good but i have a hitch that protects them from getting ripped off on departure and you can still use the receiver.
100_0504-1.jpg

this is how i wired up my switches. from left to right it's my backup lights, driving lights then what used to be my rock lights. i just cut out the ash tray to mount them.
100_0505.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry about the pics that are about to Shock your computer screens cause they are so big. i TRIED to resize them but it didnt work. but anyway here it goes. I just added these about a week ago and i love them. they are out of an Oldsmobile Aurora. Hit the local J-yards and you should see them, they are on the outside of the license plate holders on the trunk. a little modification (CUTTING-- wooohoooo) of the fiberglass tailgate and they fit in nice and snug. you can wire them up directly to the stock reverse bulb wires or add a switch and relay inline to control them manually. the second of these is what i'm doing.

03-17-08_1826.jpg

03-17-08_1827.jpg

philagony94xj said:
Sorry about the pics that are about to Shock your computer screens cause they are so big. i TRIED to resize them but it didnt work. but anyway here it goes. I just added these about a week ago and i love them. they are out of an Oldsmobile Aurora. Hit the local J-yards and you should see them, they are on the outside of the license plate holders on the trunk. a little modification (CUTTING-- wooohoooo) of the fiberglass tailgate and they fit in nice and snug. you can wire them up directly to the stock reverse bulb wires or add a switch and relay inline to control them manually. the second of these is what i'm doing.

03-17-08_1826.jpg

03-17-08_1827.jpg

that's a good idea. if i wasn't putting a tire carrier on i would do that.

Back