• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Alert anybody?

PurpleCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone but me noticed how cool the brake lights on a lot of ambulances, firetrucks and other emergency vehicles are? And not just because they're LED, it's because on some of them they have a pulsating/strobing effect everytime they hit their brakes. Even if their emergency lights aren't on. It's so subtle that most people I've talked to about this have never noticed. But when applying the brakes, the first thing the lights do is flash prolly five or six times in roughly... 1/3 of a second??? It looks sweet. They also have it for an LED blinker. I've even seen amber ones on trash trucks. So I called up Whelen and finally found someone that knew what I was talkin about and found out that it's a device called Brake Alert. And they used to be seperate modules but now they're built into the lighthead. So does anyone know a way around this? Maybe some connections w/Whelen? Or better yet, some schematics!?

Damnit. I saw "Brake Alert" and got all excited but that's not the one. This one says that it flashed for five seconds. That's a long time to be having your brake lights flashing. Hope the person behind you doesn't have a seizure... the brake alert I'm lookin for is like I said, like a third of a second long. Sorry, but hey, that was the better than any attempt I ever had Jeeper...

Last edited:
Ok, so either the guy I talked to on the phone didn't know what he was talking about (or what I was talking about) or they changed the name of the module. I googled "whelen brake alert" and got this...

• Brake/tail/turn model includes standard Signal-Alert™ pattern to enhance brake or turn signal flash activity. When LED is activated, Signal-Alert provides 4 bursts of light in 300 millionths of second before turning steady on for a more eye-catching pattern.

So looks like I was KINDA close... I little to slow on the frequency though lol.

Those are the same ones from JC Whitney. 5 times per second for 5 seconds compared to 4 times per 300 millionths of a second is the difference.

UPDATE:
I JUST got off the phone w/Whelen and somehow fenagled my way into getting them to send me some schematics... JACKPOT. Cause now I can build this module a LOT cheaper than I could buy it IF I could even find a place that sells it.

Those are the same ones from JC Whitney. 5 times per second for 5 seconds compared to 4 times per 300 millionths of a second is the difference.

UPDATE:
I JUST got off the phone w/Whelen and somehow fenagled my way into getting them to send me some schematics... JACKPOT. Cause now I can build this module a LOT cheaper than I could buy it IF I could even find a place that sells it.
Been looking for this exact module for a while. Do you still have the schematics? Have a project this would go great with!

The Amperite Stop Alert provides a continuous, non adjustable, glimmer/flicker to the brake lamp circuit it is installed in.

3rd Brake Flasher is programmable for:

- 3 pulsing/flash modes
- timeout setting for traffic jams
- 12 levels of light flash intensity
- 1-16 flashes when triggered
- 12 flash rates
- 6 repeatable cycles of operation

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brak...ke-light-flasherstrober-1000-modes-p-181.html

IF you're running LEDs... there's a module you can buy from SuperBrightLEDs.com that will strobe briefly (just a second or two) when brake lights are activated but then stay on solid.

I use such a module for my 3rd brake light (LED) alone. I have a separate module that flashes ALL of my brake lights emergency style when selected by a switch, but stay on solid when I apply the brakes.

Back