• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not enough room for a wench!!!

snowchevy78

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a bumper/brush guard off ebay without thinking about putting a wench on it... its 2 inches wide and 6 inches high. Any suggestions or tips on where to put a wench? i was thinking about behind the bumper somehow but im not sure it would be well protected

a picture would help

dscf0465vv4.jpg

sorry about the typo

the bumper sticks out from the grill about an inch and is 2 inches wide.
ill get a picture up as soon as i get my camera working

If you have any welding skills, it will be very easy to notch the center out 4" down the 6" wall and weld in the plate that the winch mounts to that way you save the two inchs on your approach angle gusset the winch mounting plate to the remaining 2" of bumper and cap what is left open where you notched out on the sides. If it was not intended to be a winch bumper you will have to make new attachment plates, might as well do your steering box brace at the same time, search in here the is a guy that was selling just the attachment plate and they were pretty cheap too.

clean off the seats, oughtta make plenty of room. :D Other than that just follow the good tech advice others have offered.

snowchevy78 said:
I recently bought a bumper/brush guard off ebay without thinking about putting a wench on it... its 2 inches wide and 6 inches high. Any suggestions or tips on where to put a wench? i was thinking about behind the bumper somehow but im not sure it would be well protected

Chances are, if it isn't big enough to hold a winch, its not got beefy enough mounts to take a winch.

Cut her in pieces.

i looked on ebay and couldnt find the bumper. im still trying to get my camera working but its putting up a good fight. I checked out a write up on someone cutting out the top half of a thin bumper and mounting a plate there, i think thats what ill do

If you're going to fab anyway, sell or return the brushguard you bought and don't constrain yourself by hacking up something else.

Buy or copy a set of JKS SBS plates, before you build the new bumper. Steering box brace, and a great place to mount a bumper off of.

Back