• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Output Seal Help

TXSizedJeep

NAXJA Forum User
after struggling for a few days to figure out what was spraying a mysterious fluid all over the underside of my rig i found out that its the rear output seal...and now i just need help changing it. i have never messed with my t-case...and am not too excited about it. im just hoping someone here could maybe give me some basic step-by-step instructions or maybe even some pictures

any other tips or things to look for would be great too

thanks!~!

Just take a flat tip screwdriver and pry it out.If that does'nt work kinda knock the seal up to bend it away from the case then pry it out.oh ya don't forget to remove driveshaft I did mine today in 10 min

JACK

When you get the seal out make sure the thrust C-clip is in place. Mine broke and the C-clip ended up in the rear bearing. This was the reason why the seal went out. The inward thrust from the output shaft caused the seal to run into the retaining clip that held the dust shield. Cost me a new seal and bearing and about 2 hrs to install it. This was on a 97 and I know older models were different.

thanks guys...but im still not sure exactly what i need to do...

i know i have to take off the drive shaft, but what do i do after that? is the seal right there infront of me or do i have to take the yoke off too?

thanks for the help!

Yes the seal is right in front of you after you take out the drive shaft. As stated take a flat head screw driver, set it under the seal lip and pry out. If that doesnt work for ya. Bend the seal lip up and either 1.grabahold of the edge with a pair of vice grips or 2.using the same flat head tap up on the seal to crush it abit then it should just pull out or fall out pretty easy. Tension is what is holding the seal in.

TXSizedJeep said:
thanks guys...but im still not sure exactly what i need to do...

i know i have to take off the drive shaft, but what do i do after that? is the seal right there infront of me or do i have to take the yoke off too?

thanks for the help!

Unless you have a slip-yoke eliminator, the yoke is on the driveshaft and the end of the shaft will be a inner-splined cylinder with a polished outer surface. The seal runs against the outer polished surface. Pry the seal out and check the retainer clip like the other guy mentioned, lube the lip of the new seal and put it in the edge of the hole, seat it evenly by tapping it in with a hammer and wooden block. (a small length of 2x4 works well) Coat the outer inch or so of the driveline lip with lube as well, re-install the driveline and you're done.

What year is it and what transfer case? Does it have the dust shield covering the seal? You can see the dust shield without removing the driveline if it has one. The hardest part about replacing the seal on mine was removing the dust shield.

ok im under the jeep right now...and from what it sounds like you guys are saying the seal should be on the splined shaft, right behind the dust boot??

ive got the driveshaft off, the dust boot off...and im looking at a splined shaft coming out of the rear of the transfer case...there is a metal ring clamped around the base of it...if i were to guess i would think that the seal is behind that metal ring? am i wrong or is there supposed to be a seal infront of the metal ring under the dust boot???

im completely lost right now...and have no drive shaft on my one and only car....please help haha :D

model and specs:
98 XJ Sport, NP231 WITH slip yoke...no SYE

PLEASE HELP! thanks!

ok so here is what im looking at now...
PIC-0013.jpg

PIC-0012.jpg

PIC-0011.jpg

and what the new seal looks like....

PIC-0015.jpg

HELP PLEASE!

Last edited:
Back