• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Wheel Hop

Wheel hop is also when your tires lose traction and then suddenly and often violently grab traction. Such occurs to my stock Jeeps when i attempt hill climbs on very hard ground, often its a side to side hop but it can present itself like your rear wheels would also. If you think of what would cause this action it comes down to either the bushings being worn allowing play, really soft springs caused by wear, and worn out shocks. The shocks no longer can dampen the rapid up and down movement causeing it to "hop" or skip. This rapid movement is also a direct relationship to a soft spring that has lost alot of its original spring rate. Either way axles and front axle u-joints are more likely to snap in this event more so than the yoke or u-joints like on the rear driveshaft caused by rear axle wheel hop.

I had the same problem and it still didnt stop after I replaced the shocks.
What I did was watch the tires as smeone jacked up the front. as the wheel came off the ground I noticed my whole wheel shifted. After I saw that I wobbled the wheel by hand side to side and watched my tie rods. Turns out I needed tie rod ends and drag link ends. After I replaced them along with a new steering stabilizer it stopped the wobble. Hope this helps, it doesnt hurt to try though. Good Luck!

I had the same problem and it still didnt stop after I replaced the shocks.
What I did was watch the tires as smeone jacked up the front. as the wheel came off the ground I noticed my whole wheel shifted. After I saw that I wobbled the wheel by hand side to side and watched my tie rods. Turns out I needed tie rod ends and drag link ends. After I replaced them along with a new steering stabilizer it stopped the wobble. Hope this helps, it doesnt hurt to try though. Good Luck!

uh... are you talking about tire wobble? or tires bouncing off the ground.....

Back