• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When do you have too many lights?

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So if you know someone who has 5 100 watt daylighters on there roof, 2 55 watt lights on the bumper, 2 more 100 watt daylighters on the A-pillars, 2 more 55 watt reverse lights and now they want lights in there wheel wells to light up the obstacles aroung the tires is this too many lights? So his first question is what are people using to do this(that is "rock lights" or wheel well lights. And mine is, If this guy only goes night wheeling once a month or so is all this worth it, like a tool you buy to do a job once?

Until they can see you from outer space...

HaHa i like these responses. So in your opinions you really never have too many unless your cooking your altenator trying to run them. I just don't know it seems like if its just a weekend warrior and you wheels at nice maybe once or twice a month you don't need all that but it certainly looks mean. Especially going down the highway at night in the snow or when he is whiping donuts lol.

If he likes having that many, its his Jeep and money...But I'd recommend not using them going down the highway at night especially in the snow...:) At least not when there's any other cars anywhere. But definitely not in snow, as I'm sure you've seen all the glare and reflection cutting visibility down...

I only had three but it was not enough. Was planning on running 4 up front with the three on top and two for backup lighting. You can never have enough light when it comes to night wheeling.

1445897553_c59c88185a.jpg

Judging by your avatar, you just might be "this guy" that you are talking about ;)
I would have just as many lights too...there are never enough lights for those tailgaiting bastards...I need a remote switch for my dual 55W reverse lights.
The one time you are stuck at night you will want the extra light. i would say to also have a portable spotlight that plugs into the cig lighter.

at one time I had my headlights, and four 55 watts up front and 6 trailer clearance lights strung under the truck and two 55 back up lights and a 170 amp alt to run it but the clearance lights had to go when I put in the frame stengthers and then i changed my bumper so I now have two kc130 slim lights at front with 2 under wheel well lights but since I still have swithes in place I may find a place to light up some how. I even upgraded my headlights with better wires and went with h4 ipf with fatboys.... When you get old night vision goes to pot. Now how can i mount side light lights ...I am trying to figure out how to mount them on the mirrors....Hey we are all nuts.... I also have spot lights and led flashlights...ect....yes they been used helping one another.

6 is enough for me. 4 wal-mart specials on the roof and 2 Hella FF300 on the grill guard.

IMG_4365.jpg

IMG_4374.jpg

Still got 2 empty switches left in my switch box, I think I will add some rear lighting.

Last edited:
I have 2 Hellas on the front bumper and then 4 55 watt square lights up on the rack and then 3 facing the back for setting up camp and I still have trouble seeing

Having too many lights wouldn't fry your alt,it may reduce its lifespan a little.They will sap your battery if the alt isn't replenishing it fast enough.
The comment about age sapping your night vision is true....:looney:

Hm. I have 90/130W E-codes, two 100W Hella 500 driving lights, and two 55W Hella 500 fog lamps (amber.) I'm thinking about adding some work lights, and a rear fog lamp.

I do like hitting my full beams for the riceboys with their "bloo" headlamps. I'll fade over, pull in behind them, and hit the highs. The look I usually get is the one large eyeball in the rearview with the pinpoint pupil, and "The ships have landed!" seems to be what I see from them.

How do you know you have too many lamps? When it's brighter around your rig at midnight than at noon, or you note that everything dims at idle, and picks up at cruise.

94XJ2door5speed said:
So if you know someone who has 5 100 watt daylighters on there roof, 2 55 watt lights on the bumper, 2 more 100 watt daylighters on the A-pillars, 2 more 55 watt reverse lights and now they want lights in there wheel wells to light up the obstacles aroung the tires is this too many lights? So his first question is what are people using to do this(that is "rock lights" or wheel well lights. And mine is, If this guy only goes night wheeling once a month or so is all this worth it, like a tool you buy to do a job once?
How come "his" question looks like "your" avatar??:roll:

No no, i do have alot of lights but this guy has more. I have used all my lights for actual wheeling purposes only once and was super glad i had them!!! He is still wondering though what you guys light up your tires or the groung imediately surrounding your rig for those guys that are always on the rocks? He was thinking those smaller Wal-mart "fog lamps" in the wheel wells but we are both thinking the tire might find itself rubbing them at a full stuff.

I guess it depends on what style of wheeling you do... if it's highspeed baja racing, you can't have too many long range lights. But, I think on the east coast, one set of driving lights and one set of fog lights should do for most stuff. for most night wheeling, unless you're the trail leader you'll only use fog lights and rock lights as anything else will blind anybody in front of you and your spotter.

That said... my setup is: two KC 130W long range Slimlites on the roof, 2 IPF 55W fog/driving lights on the bumper and IPF H4 headlights. for the back, 2 KC 55W 2x6" flood lights. They do quite well for me. I'd kinda like to add a set of side flood/fog lights for the front fender areas, but don't have any more mounting tabs left on the rack.

If I ever get rock lights, I'll get the smallest ricer fog lights Walmart has and mount them to the frame rails and to the front crossmember (under the radiator). Cheaper is better, since they have a high likelyhood of getting smashed. :)

Last edited:
I'm fixin to get a ton of lights for the XJ. I'm planning on 4 or 5 up top, 2 on each side of the cowel, two on the bumper, and two backup lights. I wanna melt buzzy imports.

I have to put the lights back on my XJ. I took the roof rack off to make some new mounts for it. I love having the lights on the back they are a good deturrent of tailgating. Just dont make the same mistake I did and make sure its not a cop before you start flipping switches or they will flip one of theirs on too. BLUE LIGHTS. :doh: :soapbox:

Back