• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joints vs. CV shafts

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Today I blasted both front shafts (both at one hit, + 1 D35 shaft went with them). The were spicer shafts with larger 760 spicer joints. Which lead me to an idea if the CV shafts from ZJ wouldnt hold better? Anybody runs them? Any experience? Are they equal to 760 joints or not?

Thanks

I got set to use for spares. When I broke both u-joint shafts, I ran them until I could new shafts. They lasted almost 50 feet on the first trip off road. I got one front tire started on a small dirt hill to check flex, gave it a little gas, and broke both shafts. The cv joints held, but both shafts broke just inboard of the joints. All the ZJ guys I know are running 760 joint XJ shafts.
IIRC, one of the midwest guys (85xjwoody ?) runs them on a 4 cyl rig, and they have held up fine.

The only advantage I could see is if you use the full time on a 242 case a lot, they are smoother in turns.

Back