• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Tranny to engine bolts - HELP!

92xjdean

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I decided to pull my engine today (99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0) and put in the replacement one I bought a few weeks ago. I'm making good progress and then WHAM! the bolts that connect the tranny to the engine are totally foreign looking to me. They look they have some kind of star head on them and they are small, very small. The bottom two are regular bolt heads but the top two are these weird looking star bolt heads. Does anyone have any information on what size these are, do they require a special too? What size if they requre a special tool? This thing is really pissing me off. Whatever happened to regular bolts, regular water hose clamps and regular screw in fuel lines?????!!!!! I've had to buy more "special" tools for this damn thing than any other car I've ever owned.........

Any help on the bolts mentioned above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Dean

I got the bolts off. The one on the passenger side is a PITA with all of the electrical cabling, vacuum hoses etc. in the way. What the hell was Chrysler thinking with they put those bolts in there? Thanks for the replies.....

I had the same reaction when I found mine:) I knew what they were, just couldnt understand Chryco's thinking. You got lucky to get them off, Mine were allready stripped from the PO(yippeee) had to use a grinder, dremel and a sawzall blade.

Chrysler simply contniued a FUBAR design that went back to AMC. When building the vehicle, the CPS, oil filter adapter and bellhousing bolts are VERY easy to access when the engine is a separate assembly. Once it's installed in the vehicle, things change. That's why I hate trying to change simple things like spark plugs on our Toyota Camry and Mercury Villager van...transverse=mounted V6 engines are the devil!

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back