• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alumiflex tie rod? Also tie rod end question

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
POsted in OEM but no response, I'll try here since I need to get going on this ASAP.

So Im considering getting the alumiflex tie rod, found on macromtive for $80 (is this different than the Toys By Troy one or is that just rebadged?). Does this work with the stock tie rod ends?

As far as the tie rod assembly, are the tie rod ends the weak spot?

My debate is getting a beefier tie rod and going with the bigger tie rod ends, like the ZJ swap OR do I go for the Alumiflex and hopefully "deflect" the impact.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, thanks

Well you need to wait more than 15 minutes for an answer!Good luck with this since TbT is out of business!

I first posted the question yesterday around 5 so its been longer than 15 minutes. Also the Challenger one seems to still be available.

They are not is business either!

Are you serious? Well I guess that made my decision easier :laugh:

I did see it for sale on macromotive, it allows me to go to checkout so Im guessing they still have it in inventory?

Anyway I'd like to see if anybody has one and has been happy with it.
Otherwise I'll just go with the ZJ swap and be done with it.

rammie said:
Are you serious? Well I guess that made my decision easier :laugh:

I did see it for sale on macromotive, it allows me to go to checkout so Im guessing they still have it in inventory?

Anyway I'd like to see if anybody has one and has been happy with it.
Otherwise I'll just go with the ZJ swap and be done with it.

Good luck,Macromotive(Off-road Unlimited) is here in Phoenix also!

rammie said:
POsted in OEM but no response, I'll try here since I need to get going on this ASAP.

So Im considering getting the alumiflex tie rod, found on macromtive for $80 (is this different than the Toys By Troy one or is that just rebadged?). Does this work with the stock tie rod ends?

My debate is getting a beefier tie rod and going with the bigger tie rod ends, like the ZJ swap OR do I go for the Alumiflex and hopefully "deflect" the impact.

Did you ask them if it works with stock tie rods?

I would bet that for $80 it's not high enough grade aluminum to hold up. A few of us have tried the Tera aluminum tie rod, unsuccessfully, they're hollow. I even sleeved the inside to make it solid and it still bent. The Tera stuff might work well if you don't do a lot of rocks, but it's not tough enough to not bend. The aluminum steering links that work well are the higher dollar heat treated aluminum links. Don't know what the Alumiflex stuff is.

I ran the one from macro for a while, held up fine as did the stock tre's it takes. My thinking was beef up the tie rod and all you do is move the weak point, this way it absorbs the energy.

The ZJ setup ran me about $125 a couple years ago when I did it, and gave me all new stuff that was waaay beefier than stock XJ. For $40 more, I'd go that route. Just my $0.02.

If you want solid aluminum go to Campbell Enterprises!

rammie said:

I bent my stock tie rod badly on the Rubicon and I didn't hit anything with it. 35 inch tires + locker + big rocks and it just bent into a V shape. I replaced it with a Big Daddy's Offroad heavy duty tie rod for $69 and it held up fine for a couple years until I swaped axles and installed 1 ton high steer. I don't know about aluminum, don't know anyone who has run it.

I have a Toys by Troy aluminum tie rod. It uses the stock ends and seems to work well. I have had onlookers tell me its deflected before, its still straight as ever.

I also believe its stronger than the stock ends. I bought it used and one of the tie rod ends was bent when I got it.

Back