• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical problems

cutlass30587

NAXJA Forum User
none of the power door locks, power windows, power mirrors work on the inside switches except for passenger door unlock only. It has an aftermarket viper alarm with a key pad to unlock/lock the doors and that works on all the doors except the drivers door. the front speakers are intermitent but came to find out this is common and has a bad wire in the door harness. Also with a test light found that i have power at the connectors for the switches so im thinkin bad switch? but if it was only a bad switch why wouldnt the other door switches work? i checked the fuses they are good. also the switches dont light up except passenger door lock switch............ any help would be great btw its a 99 cherokee sport

Last edited:
Well, I looked at the 99 FSM wiring for the things that don't work, and they all use the same ground point, G302.
G302 is located, believe it or not, back by the left rear tail light. Inside the cargo area behind the trim panel, just above the gas tank fill pipe. This is also the ground point for your fuel pump, so chances are you either have a break in the wiring harness or your fuel pump is managing to find a path to ground some other way.
Hope that helps.

sounds like a bad master switch(driver side switch) Most have all the locks, window functions power start from the driver switch. When that goes bad nothing tends to work

McQue said:
Well, I looked at the 99 FSM wiring for the things that don't work, and they all use the same ground point, G302.
G302 is located, believe it or not, back by the left rear tail light. Inside the cargo area behind the trim panel, just above the gas tank fill pipe. This is also the ground point for your fuel pump, so chances are you either have a break in the wiring harness or your fuel pump is managing to find a path to ground some other way.
Hope that helps.

wow that is some really good info.. thanks for looking into that for me

mcque said:
sounds like a bad master switch(driver side switch) Most have all the locks, window functions power start from the driver switch. When that goes bad nothing tends to work

yea im going to pick up a new driver side switch tomarrow hopefully its not to expensive and sloves my problems

now if it is the master switch or the bad ground why are my power locks still working if i use the remote keyless entry??? i'd think that wouldnt work either?

one possible explanation is that the G302 ground point is working for some circuits, and not for other circuits depending on where the break is in the wiring harness...(if that is the problem) different circuits are spliced into the harness before it makes it's way to ground...any spliced in branch can break off the main harness and go dead...

************** UPDATE *********************

so i ordered a new drivers door switch for the locks/windows/mirrors, got home plugged it in and still nothing........ but i learned something new since at the time i had the parking lights on so the dash and switches would light up and noticed that if i hold the drivers power lock button over to the lock side the rest of the switches for the windows/mirrors would light up and work properly as long as i kept holding the lock button pressed. this sucks that it couldnt have been something simple.... so im open to any suggestions anyone has, please post BTW i still gotta check that ground that was mentioned, most likely sunday...

Just about! 2k xj and the power locks will work for the hatch and the drivers door only.

Back