• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After market fuel gauge

in2fords

NAXJA Forum User
Because Im a glutton for punishment I went for the NP435/205 swap, this made it more feesible to build a dash then modify the current old beatup one and this made after market gauges more feesible then trying to build the new dash around the old cluster. So after buying the equus gm fuel gauge Im trying to hook it up. So far Im only into this about $120, not bad really. $60 for the .063 Aluminum bent to a "c" channel, Tach and Speedo from ebay, Equus fuel gauge and autogauge set from Checkers.

On the back of the original cluster there is a resistor going to the fuel gauge. Do I need this with the new gauge? or do I hook it up with out it? Im also installing a red LED for my low fuel warning light, luckily the little circut is self explanitory on how to hook it up.

Heres a couple pics of my mess

Thanx, Jeremy

looks good. and to answer your ? when i did full gauges before i was using autometer ultra lights and i didnt need to add anything with the fuel level gauge. i just wired it straight from gauge to fuel level sending unit.
mike

Thanx guys. I would love to take credit but I had the shop bend it into the channel and all I did was cut out the gauges and to fit the curve under the windsheild.

thanks for the heads up on how to wire it up.
Jeremy

Still need to install a 12v outlet but am done for the most part, Im just trying to get it driving right now.
I dont have lights for the speedo but will put them in later, stereo is now inop, Ive only owned it for 9 years so its time was coming.

Here is the wiring for the Fuel gauge and low fuel light:

The socond to bottom wire is the fuel level wire, it is a tan wire

the bottom wire(white with black stripe) is the fused gauge power

The low fuel level light is controled by the chip under the Tach

the terminals are marked: GND-UNIT-VCC-OUT

Wiring it up is easy. The ground is self explanitory- UNIT connects to the tan wire from the fuel level sender and runs in Parallel with the gauge- VCC is the white power wire and OUT goes to the light. For my Light I am using a Red LED near the fuel gauge.
I didnt use the Diode that is in the power wire on the back of the original cluster, not sure if you should?
Hope this helps someone thats putting in a fuel Gauge.
Jeremy

Back