• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front wheel scuffing the ground while turning

Combatcm

NAXJA Forum User
When At full or almsot full lock it I can hear my tires scuffing the ground. It did it before the lift and still does it.

My guess is the U joint binding. Is this normal?

mine does the same, and I'm nearly positive that it's an alignment issue. I've never aligned a 4wd before though. My buddies tell me that you can do it yourself without a machine...anyone else?

is it in 4wd?

lift the front end off the ground put on jack stands and get a friend to hold the steering wheel at full lock while you turn the wheel by hand and pay very specific attention to the u-joints as well as if both tires are turning at the same time and if the drive shaft is turning as well.

yes you can do a ruff alignment on your jeep pretty easily but if your not carefull you can make some costly mistakes

I just put new steering on the jeep and when I pulled out of the driveway I had that scrubbing sound. The truck was way out of alignment so after the first test drive I went to gojeep's website and rechecked the alignment. It requires a tape measure and maybe a pipe wrench. Now the jeep drives good and I'm anxious to see how far its off cause I think I got it pretty close

Mine does the same thing. I try not to turn at full lock on dry pavement. Being new to this platform, I didn't realize this wasn't normal. Now I'll look into this. Thanks for bringing this up.

Mine started doing this after a recent wheeling trip. Bent the tie rod and messed the toe up. Installed some new parts and had it alinged all is good.

Back