• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will it fit? 96JX block into a 01 TJ

alex22

NAXJA Forum User
My brother just bought a 2001 TJ with a 4cyl. :twak: I am building a new engine for my 96 XJ, most likley a stroker. My brother wants me to rebiuld the 4.0 that is in my XJ right now and send it to him.
I have heard that the engine mount castings are diferent from the TJ to XJ blocks. What would it take to put my block into his jeep.

~Alex

More work than it's worth.

Sell the four popper TJ. Buy one with a six.

$.02

Robert

I should add that i'm an automotive machinist so all he would have to pay for is the parts, and a little something for my time.

~Alex

01 tj is coil on ignition, 96 xj runs dis and wires. The block may be different, head is different for sure. Plus trying to make all the old parts work with the newer software of the 01 PCM may not be worth your time. Unless you convert that too just check your harness in the tj to make sure all the connectors are present for the 4.0 setup.

Back