• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bulb size.

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I did search but I can't find reference to bulb size for inst. cluster for '90 Laredo w/gauges, not idiot lights.

Wanna go LED.

mtmike said:
There are two different bulb numbers used for the dash lights (depending on size and light output). One is bulb # 74 and the other is bulb # 37.
As far as LED replaements, check out this site:

http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm?gclid=CO7g6_iHkJICFRAziQodDnco7w

HTH.

#74 and #37 are, as I recall, externally identical (the difference lies in the filament.)

They're usually used for indicators - gage illumination is provided by bulb #194. The #194 is used for illumination of the IP, for the tcase bezel light, and for the front exterior running lamps (and, I think, running lamps on the rear sides.)

I stand corrected. Looks like the NAPA online catalog needs to be updated, as they didn't list the 194's for instrument lights.

mtmike said:
I stand corrected. Looks like the NAPA online catalog needs to be updated, as they didn't list the 194's for instrument lights.

Yeah, I know. That's why I get (and try to post) information directly from the FSMs and from my own "hands-on" experience. I've had a few IPs apart, and that's what I've seen.

I'm not surprised that the online catalogue is in error - a bit more care goes into the catalogue that they use in the shops than the one online, but I've caught mistakes in the "shop versions" as well. The people that programme those things don't have to use them on a daily basis, and they don't have to deal with cranky people when the catalogue insists that it's the right part, but the catalogue itself is wrong...

I've also looked over Chilton's, and although it has all the above mentioned lights listed, it doesn't say (or I can't find it) or mention "instrument lights" or "guage cluster" the LED "guide" I was looking at said all 194's or 74's. Thus my confusion.

I've put the 194's in my side marker's but I seem to remember 74's in the dash. I'll have to look in to 37's.

ParadiseXJ said:
I've also looked over Chilton's, and although it has all the above mentioned lights listed, it doesn't say (or I can't find it) or mention "instrument lights" or "guage cluster" the LED "guide" I was looking at said all 194's or 74's. Thus my confusion.

I've put the 194's in my side marker's but I seem to remember 74's in the dash. I'll have to look in to 37's.

It has been a little while since I had one open, but I seem to recall that either the #37 or #74 will work for the various indicators (including the panel on the left,) and the basic illumination is provided by #168 or #194 (same externally, but I think the #194 is a bit brighter. I use #194 everywhere without incident.)

Back