• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

battery for winch

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
is there a certain size battery that i need for my 8274? guy i know said that i need a battery that accpts winches. my first thought is "hes b-sing me". he always makes up storys. but anyways, i cant remember the battery i got. all i know is that its the cheapest one that a guy at advance says i "need". it was about $75. bought it like 4 months ago. will i need a new battery or will mine work?

You need the most CCA that you can fit into the limitations that you have. Those limitations being two. First the physical limitations of available space at the battery location and secondly the alternator output. That is the same questions I asked when I put a winch on my XJ. I went with a Diehard from Sears. It has 850CCA and it has top posts. Do not use the side post type battery for winch hook up. They won't take the strain put on your battery. JMHO

alternator, i have a 98. i've read something about a g.c. alt. is stronger. what years?/ v8 or 4.0?

I know nothing about winches, but that doesn't stop me from expressing my opinions.

I would think that if you are using the winch you are doing so with the motor running. If the motor is running, the alternator is charging the battery. If the winch uses more AMPS than the alternator is able to generate then the battery will drain.

If the motor is not running while you are using the winch then you are using the AMPS from the battery alone. Eventually you'll run out of enough power (AMPS) to start the motor.

I am sure it is possible to use the winch long enough (with the motor running) that it could cause the battery to drain, and the motor to stall because there isn't enough voltage to generate the spark for the spark plug, but I would think the wires in your Jeep would melt first.

Again, I don't know anything about winches... but I'll be learning soon!

userbmx1315 said:
alternator, i have a 98. i've read something about a g.c. alt. is stronger. what years?/ v8 or 4.0?
Not sure about GC alt. I had mine rebuilt to 140 amp output and am now going to dual batteries because I want to run the Winch and other things like extra lights from the second battery. I bought an isolator from 5-90 and that will isolate the second battery from the primary battery so that I will always have a starting battery fully charged. I haven't fully discharged my primary battery with any winching chore yet but have not done any night winching either. Don't want to chance being stuck somewhere with a dead primary battery so thats why I'm working on getting a second battery installed.
Good luck and hope this answered any altenator questions and gave you some food for thought.

I am also a winch noob pondering these topics. I have a couple fairly substantial marine deep cycle batteries which to my understanding are better batteries to draw down because they can be more effectively recharged. For someone like me who would typically only use the winch for extracation from "a stuck" (as opposed to winching to get past the narly spots on the trail), I wonder if you couldn't just have an unconnected marine deep cycle battery on hand and trickle charge after the infrequent times that it is used.

Rod Knee said:
I am also a winch noob pondering these topics. I have a couple fairly substantial marine deep cycle batteries which to my understanding are better batteries to draw down because they can be more effectively recharged. For someone like me who would typically only use the winch for extracation from "a stuck" (as opposed to winching to get past the narly spots on the trail), I wonder if you couldn't just have an unconnected marine deep cycle battery on hand and trickle charge after the infrequent times that it is used.
Probably would work but why not mount the deep cycle and let the altenator recharge it instead of a trickle charger? Again just my $0.02 worth.

Go to Walmart and get a yellow ever start. With top and side post. Run your vehicle off the top post and your winch cables have eye loops on them. Put those on your side post. I've ran this set up for two years and pulled some very heavy trucks out of mud with no problems.

Narfxj said:
Go to Walmart and get a yellow ever start. With top and side post. Run your vehicle off the top post and your winch cables have eye loops on them. Put those on your side post. I've ran this set up for two years and pulled some very heavy trucks out of mud with no problems.
I have a 12,000 pound MileMarker and had a couple questions so I called MileMarker and was advised not to use side posts to mount the winch cable to. So I took their advise and later when I purchased the Isolator from 5-90 he also said not to use the side posts of the battery. So that is the sourse of my information. Glad you have had no problems with yours.

Well in my experience using the side post does not hurt. I have used this on three different jeeps. Two where warn winchs and one was a Sams club champion winch. Never had problems with all three. Guess I just got lucky!!!

Narfxj said:
Well in my experience using the side post does not hurt. I have used this on three different jeeps. Two where warn winchs and one was a Sams club champion winch. Never had problems with all three. Guess I just got lucky!!!
Maybe not. I may have been misinformed. Just passing on my info sources not any negative or positive experiences.
Mike-out

i dont know the wiring diagram to run dual batterys. i dont think my stock alt. could charge both. any one know if the durango is a direct bolt up? like one guy said.

mikeforte said:
Probably would work but why not mount the deep cycle and let the altenator recharge it instead of a trickle charger? Again just my $0.02 worth.

Well, I'd need to find out what type of an alternator upgrade would be required to address your suggestion, as well as all the wiring nuances involved. Haven't really come across a comprehensive guideline on these issues, although I'll admit to not having searched thoroughly.

Nearly everyone who has a winch on their truck or 4x4 rig uses the stock alternator and a good quality battery. You can upgrade the alternator, and run dual batteries, which many have done, but it's not necessary. One of the things about higher ourput alternators is that they put out the higher amperage at a higher rpm, and most of the time put out lower amps at idle and just off idle. Since most modern vehicles (including older XJ's) already have pretty good alternators, there isn't much need to upgrade unless you have a unique situation where you really run a ton of accessories that regularly drain the system.

Good quality batteries are always a good idea, and so is a high capacity battery, but dual batteries are rarely needed, and most that have winches do not run them. I think it's good to run a high capacity deep cycle battery, mostly because of their reserve power and the fact that they are much more durable under hard use. A starting battery's capacity will decrease significantly with a couple of deep discharges, even (or especially) a Red Top Optima, while a deep cycle battery can handle many more deep discharges without harming the battery. A good deep cycle still has plenty of cranking power to start a vehicle.

My battery of choice is a Blue Top deep cycle marine Optima. The Blue tops are marine batteries and come with double screw posts on top, so it is easier to wire up winches and other accessories. The Blue Tops come as either starting battery or deep cycle battery, the same as a Red Top or a Yellow Top, just blue with double screw posts.

Narfxj said:

Depends on the battery. Some will take it, some will not. Most battery manufacturers warn against it.

I also run dual bats one in the engine compartment and one in the trunk area. Same thing been running this set up for a long time. With no problems. I'm also running a stock alt. About 8 months ago I sank my jeep in a big mud hole. One of the things it killed was my alt. So I bought a stock alt from Discount auto and it has a lifetime warranty. So if it ever goes bad. All I have to do is take it back and exchange it.

The rating you want to look for is "reserve," or the Ampere-hours (Ah) rating. The higher, the better (CCA is "Cold Cranking Amps," and is a rating for high current draws for short durations in cold temperatures. By the time you're winching, your battery ain't cold anymore...)

As far as not using the side posts, I have two groups of sources on that...

1) Exide, Interstate, and Optima have all told me that side posts are not to be used for sustained drains over (number reduced slightly by me) 75-80A. You run into problems with heat, and you could end up melting the screws loose or melting the pads right out of the case. They're fine for accessory draws, but not for sustained high-current loads. Winches are right out. (Lighting and such is OK - keeping under the limit.) Connect winches to the top posts, per battery manufacturers.

2) Warn & Ramsey engineering departments (I've spent some time on the phone with them) have told me that winches shouldn't be connected to the side posts - for the same reason. Since your average winch has an instantaneous draw under load of anywhere from 250-600A, heat can become a huge issue!

Yes, I've spent some time on the phone with these people (it was the only real way to get hold of the individual I needed to talk to, in each case. Fortunately, I speak engineering fairly well...) This is direct from the manufacturers!

Why are there side posts? In the mid-1980's, GM had a brainstorm to use posts on the side of the battery to lower the hoodlines of some passenger cars (for aerodynamics and for styling cues.) I don't think they use it anymore - if your starter motor is getting old or weak, it draws more current than it's nominally rated for - which heats up the battery posts, and can cause trouble. The typical starter motor for a gasoline engine draws 140-300A, depending on engine size and compression (four-cylinders are down around 140-175A, while a high-performance high-compression V8 has no trouble hitting the 300A mark. Diesels are another story entirely - why do you think they have two batteries?)

To recap, here's the sources:
  • Exide Batteries
  • Interstate Batteries
  • Optima Batteries
  • Warn Engineering
  • Ramsey Engineering

All of them have told me - directly - that the side posts should not be used for high loads, and damned sure not for winching (especially if you winch frequently.) They weren't a good idea for starting loads when GM did it - but they did anyhow for about ten years. As I said, I don't think they do it anymore. If you've not had trouble, you probably did get lucky (short, infrequent pulls are likely.)

userbmx1315 said:
goatman so what your saying is that all i need is a deep cycle battery?

What I'm saying is that you dont "need" anything. Your winch will work fine with your stock alternator and a good battery. If you'd like to upgrade the battery, or need to replace the battery, getting a large capacity deep cycle is the best bet for overall reliability and longevity.

Back