• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black Tailpipe/ lotsa Carbon?

91Woody

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I recalled reading somewhere that this was a sign of a bad o2 sensor. I also get pretty crappy mileage, but that could be caused by a lot of other things. I replaced the exhaust about two weeks ago and have no CEL, but the tailpipe is already pitch black and has the black exterior ring forming nicely now.
Can anyone confirm or deny the o2 sensor possibility. My multimeter has a dead battery, so checking the voltage is out right now. I have 171K miles on a '91 4.0 HO, so it may be original, it may not.
Thanks

Sounds like it's running rich. An O2 sensor could very well be the culprit.

Good Luck!! :cheers:

O2 sensor is a pretty quick/cheap fix for that. throw a battery in the multi-meter, test it, and replace it :)

I just replaced mine and it certainly cut down on the carbon build up in the exhaust.

Thanks for the replies, I'll be checking into it further.

If the O2 sensor is original, at 170K/miles, it's time to change it!
O2 sensors get "lazy", resulting in richer mixture.

thanks, will do o2 sensor and check MAP sensor. I hope the o2 sensor isn't original, but I have had so many other issues to deal with since I got it last year that if it wasn't throwing a code, I wasn't changing it. I haven't had such good luck with my XJ, but at least I'm running out of things to go wrong on it ;)

I'm changing o2 sensor out today. Tomorrow i have another 100 mile trip to go on, so perhaps I'll save a half gallon of fuel:)
If anything noticeable happens I'll post up.

Back