• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken shackle weld nut

bigred95

NAXJA Forum User
i was just wondering what would be the easiest way to fix a broken shackle weld nut. i know that one way is to use a hole saw on the backside of the frame but doesnt that mean dropping the gas tank and how easy is that. and how easy is it to use a hole saw.and is it possible to go from the bottom, under the nut. If there is a better way of doing this i would appreciate any help.

man, that's not an easy one... my suggestion would be to do what I did with the foreward spring eye nut... cut a small hole near the edge of the nut, thread the bolt in to hold the nut where you need it, and stick weld the nut back in place. I say stick weld, because it is next to impossible to fit a MIG torch in there... and you can bend the ARC rod to get it in there.

I too have my leaf spring bolt welded nuts broken free. I've read you can get to the rears by removing the rear bumper, I haven't varified this yet though. It is very common, from what people have told me. I didn't try any thread buster on my bolts/nuts before I tried to remove them, maybe that would've helped.

i had this problem on the last 2 lifts i have done both of them we removed the rear bumper and cut a hole to access inside the unibody/frame rail and used a socket to remove the factory nut and replaced them with nylock nuts

So you have to cut a hole in the rear structure to access the nuts? I freakin' knew it! Ain't nuthin' easy these days! Thanks for the low down.

Here is what I ended up having to do for the foreward one... it would work for the shackle nut too...

000_0934.jpg

I fix them by cutting a U below the hole (similar to tayman's method, but not as messy...lol). Then bend it out, weld the nut, beat it back to shape, and weld it back up. It's a good idea to use a new nut as well.
I have been lucky with the shackle nut and haven't had to do that one (yet), but I would think it could be fixed the same way.
Just remember, this area is structural, so you don't want to actually remove any material.

Last edited:
bigred95 said:
so the broken weld nut for the shackle is on the outside of the frame in that lil pocket and not on the inside of the frame?
Yes, it's in between the frame and "pocket", same with the front mount.

Not haveing a welder (really good thing at this point), accessing the back by removing the bumper sounds like the least impact to structural members.
Is that a safe assumption?

sjx40250 said:
Not haveing a welder (really good thing at this point), accessing the back by removing the bumper sounds like the least impact to structural members.
Is that a safe assumption?

you still have to get through to it... no matter WHAT you do, I think you'll have to cut.

Aren't jeeps fun!!!:doh:

I know this is an old thread, but I just blew out my welds this weekend...
Rather than accessing it from the bottom, as the pic above shows, is it possible to access it from the rear (with the bumper off)? It seems like this sheetmetal would be less important than the sheet metal for the bottom of the pocket or any of the frame.
I've got nut strips in there now for the tow hook and gas tank skids, but those should be easy enough to remove.

Anybody know what size these nuts are?

Last edited:
You won't ba able to access through the bumper without cutting. Cutting through the cargo area floor is probably the best bet as it is the least structural and easiest to patch shut.

Back