• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella 500 Differences

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
hella 500

what is the difference between the two hella 500's
Walmart has two different hella's one has a different lense design than the other.I suspect one is fog and the other driving?The one with the clear lense is driving,right?And the other with lines in the lense is fog?The box didn't say,unless I'm blind....

Re: hella 500

I went to hella's site,they have the regular 500's and the 500FF.whats the difference between the regular 500(made in germany) and the 500FF rallies?
TAIWAN!!!!!!

So according to hella's site the 500FF rallies are technically not DOT legal to be used as a low beam?Only to be used while the high beams are on?
Will I be legal if I get the regular 500 "driving beams" and use them all the time as a low beam?

Last edited:
Re: hella 500

They are both driving, the difference I saw was that one used the lens to dispurse the light and the other uses the reflecting surface to dispurse the light and has a clear lens. I bought the ones with the clear lens. they were only $5 more, they're supposed to be brighter, and I think they look better.

I have the 500ff, i love em, As for using them as your low beam it probally wont be legal since they ARE driving light and are supposed to be off when your low beams are on, and they would blind the oncoming traffic esspecially the FF model

The ones with vertical lines or ridges in the lens are fog lights.

500_xl.jpg

top to bottom:

amber fog, clear fog, driving.

the Hella 500 and Hella 500FF are two totally different lamps.

the 500FFs throw a nicer pattern than the regular 500, but are almost twice as much, but 65 bucks times two aint bad.

MainImage_HE_500FF.jpg

I'm running 500 ambers and 550 drivers and its a great combo, although my ambers are real old and are turning clear.

Well shoot looks like I have the ff's :) They are extremely bright, however mine have a beam like a pencil. So I can see a mile away, but only directly in front of my car.

yep wally world has the 500's and the 500FF for the same price.The regular 500's(driving,made in Germany) are discontinued and are being replaced by the taiwan made 500FF's

So how different are the two beams,really??
I think this thread needs a side by side comparison between the 500's and the 500FF's.

Last edited:
outlander said:
So how different are the two beams,really??
I think this thread needs a side by side comparison between the 500's and the 500FF's.

I dont have any pics, but my friend runs the 700FF on his YJ with a 100w bulb, and they have a pattern thats a lot better, and the light actually looks brighter (better reflector) than my 55w 500s and my other friend's 100w 500s.

I had bought a set of the 500FFs from the local Walmart on Thursday, but the mounting foot didn't work with the space on my brush bar, so back they went. Luckily I bought them locally instead of buying them cheaper online. I wanted the 500FFs because I liked the reflector setup and cheap to replace, ah well.. I mounted IPF 968s on Saturday.

Back