• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a Radiator...2 row or 3 row?

Rynxprs

NAXJA Forum User
I've read people say go with a 3 row...and i've read people say that a 2 row is better! :confused1

I need to order one. So please let me knwo where I shoudl go and order it and which one I need to get.

churky89 said:
3................ the more the cooler...........

I had a new GDI three row but still ran hot, I took it to a radiator shop and he put a new High flow 2 core Modine and all is well.
The 2 core has larger tubes than the three and also more flow.

Think about surface area + flow through that area. A two row has a certain amount of flow, and a certain amount of area.

A three row has more flow and more area for transmisson of heat out of the radiator... what you need.

A four row would be better yet.

Now, there is another part of ths argument involving radiator material. Brass radiators use smaller tubes and thus require more rows. Aluminum radiators have larger tubes and can get by with less rows.

Brass has an ability to move heat at around 370 Joules/kg degree Kelvin, with aluminum moving it at around 980 Joules/kgK of material... Over twice the ability to move heat.

So a primo radiator is an aluminum three row.. but they're special and pricy.

Gary

You would think so but the two row has larger tubes and take up all the area. Usable surface is larger and by the time the air passes the first two tubes it's so hot that the last tube don't cool much. The two core tubes are oval shaped and have more surface than three round ones.

The last thing I wanted to hear was my new three core GDI was the problem, but for me it was.

maybe its just to many engineering classes but the units used there look like the heat transfer depends on the mass of the metal, so with copper being far more dense than aluminum i would think that the numbers might be skewed slightly (geiven that they are constructed the same). I saw something written up as to why it doesnt matter whether its an aluminum radiator or a copper, it said something about copper/brass being the BETTER conductor of heat but becasue of the solder used to hold it together the brass/copper ended up conductiong the same as the aluminum (lesser thermal conductivity of the two).

i would liek to see how this goes because im in the market for a new radiator as well.

Not a good drawing but it show the different construction of the Modine High flow.

Raddraw.jpg

The Modine highflow is better. Get one for a '91 if you have an '87 to '90 with 4.0L and you'll only need a rad cap to partially complete the conversion.

Can anyone post a part number for the "High Flow" Modine 2 Tank. I see a few on there site and wanna make sure i have the right one. Also a price and point of purchase would be good.
THHANKS

Back