• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i am thinking about new axels

Kiefer316

NAXJA Forum User
so i was either thinking of going with 44 front and 8.8 rear or 44 front and 9" rear also considering 44 front and rear.i was wondering what setup would be the best?

For..........................................?

Albino Krikit said:
for rock crawling when i can also so i can get a bigger lift and run bigger tires
from what ive heard, the nine inch is really a tuff axle, but some complain about it hanging too low and hitting on Rocks. You could always shave the bottom of the nine inch for more clearance. The other major factor is width. If you ran the Wagoneer 44's, they're not much wider than the stock axles and very strong. With the Ford 44/9, theyre a little wider. Either of the combos can easily support 38's too.

How big do you wanna go? You can comfortably run 33's on a locked 30, anything bigger will need an upgrade. Did you check out the FAQ about axle strength?

-Alex

XJrambler said:
:roflmao:

any reason for that input? or just lookin to waste peoples time?

check out the FAQ area, it will give some good info on what these and other axles are capable of. not to mention its depends on the type of trails, and driving style.

beakie said:
any reason for that input? or just lookin to waste peoples time?

check out the FAQ area, it will give some good info on what these and other axles are capable of. not to mention its depends on the type of trails, and driving style.

38's on a D44 in anything other than mud and fire roads :explosion

Ba-Riedo said:
How big do you wanna go? You can comfortably run 33's on a locked 30, anything bigger will need an upgrade. Did you check out the FAQ about axle strength?

-Alex

I comfortably run 35's on a locked 30, and I'm considering 37's..

If you're goin 33s or 35s, 44s would be plenty especially if you get alloy shafts. A lot of guys run 33s and 35s on D30/8.25. Usually works fine, again especially with alloy shafts...

Albino Krikit said:
i was wondering if i could run 35s on stock 30 and 35 just wonderin
The 30 stock,maybe if run on easy trails, with a little work my 30 spins 35" Boggers on problem. The D35 on the other hand , I wouldn't trust it under a wheelbarrow:laugh3: .

If you are looking for some good info, please look outside of this thread.

jeepme said:
38's on a D44 in anything other than mud and fire roads :explosion
Where do you get that opinion? I know a lot of guys running 37/38 on D44s with no breakage. Multiple trips to Moab and lots of other rocks, certainly nor mud and fire roads.

As to the OP's question, I would run Waggy D44s. They're really cheap (you could be totally done for about $1000, versus a lot more with an HP D44/9" combo). There's a guy in my club who ran 37" Creepy Crawlers on his Waggy axles and has never had any issues, besides a blown hub.

I'm running a custom width HP D44 and an 8.8, all with alloy shafts, big joints, etc. I'm into my axles a stupid amount of money; if could do it over I'd just go for Waggy 44s and save about $3500.

-----Matt-----

stock joints will not hold up long to 37s

waggy ford chevy whatever

even with those, you are pushing the limits of that axle with 37/38s

You have to sink a lot of money into it to get it to hold up to hard use and still have to worry. It's really a bad size (as many will say) too big for 44s but with 60s it'll be a rock anchor.

Ramsey said:
waggy ford chevy whatever

even with those, you are pushing the limits of that axle with 37/38s

You have to sink a lot of money into it to get it to hold up to hard use and still have to worry. It's really a bad size (as many will say) too big for 44s but with 60s it'll be a rock anchor.
I see what you're saying, though you can shave the hell out of D60s, even a 14 bolt so they're.

I'm plenty happy with my 35's (and for that matter 33's); they've never held me back from any place I wanted to go.

-----Matt-----

cal said:
I comfortably run 35's on a locked 30, and I'm considering 37's..

I still find that amazing, I have not made up my mind yet on alloys or not. The way I feel about it is with 33's and a locker if something is going to break its best if it is the shaft or joint, since both of those are fixable on the trail. If you transfer all that torque to a ring gear and bust that because a weaker link didnt go, well you have a bigger problem.

-Alex

Back