• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering leak

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
I have fluid on the drivers side hood that is being slung by the belt. it is also coating the airbox. I installed a new pump with new gasket and reused the resorvoir about 6 months ago with no leaks until now.

I removed the ps pump and checked the o-ring and it seems perfect. I have the retaining clips on correctly and everything is snug. I also replaced the supply and return lines just in case.

Anyone had there resorvoir go bad? I looked for cracks on mine but found none. Allthough I'm wondering about the seams on the res?

Had the same problem last week. It was the high pressure hose. I cleaned it all up and it was leaking at the crimp and running down the hose
download-3.jpg

Ditto, clean it all real good and drive it for a couple of miles then find the leak. My money is on the pressure line--I just had to tighten the one on my Cadi this morning, only half a turn loose and losing fluid like crazy

you don't even need to drive it...just start it and have someone turn the wheel all the way to lock and you will see it spray.

ok, this is my list of obvious questions that ran through my head. Perhaps one will help you figure out your problem.

Tank to full?
Right fluid type?
correct O-ring material type ?(compatable with hydro fluid,ATF ect.)

Is the steering box addjusted correctly? If you have to much back presure it could blow out the O-ring that seals the tank to the pump.

Are you running over sized tire?

thanks all for the help. it was leaking before i put on the new supply hose and still leaks after. i needed a new one anyway becuase it was rusted on the upper portion of the line where it goes into the pump. i will spray it down again and try to locate it. seems like it is coming out of the front bottom of the res and dripping on top of the lower radiator hose. no oversized tires well not really just 30's. tank is not too full, correct fluid, and o-ring seems seated correctly and is new.

Back