• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken clutch linkage?

Serveck

NAXJA Forum User
this is a new problem to me, i dont have much experience with drivetrains and transmissions. what im asking is what kind of transmission he has, it's a 1990 cherokee sport (i think) 2 door with the 5spd manual, i believe the np231 transfer case. i believe he has the Aisin-Warner AX15 5-speed manual (according to my research).

what's happening is when you go to push in the clutch pedal it does not disengage the clutch, and so you cannot put it into gear. what i believe happened is that the clutch linkage (or cable) snapped. however, even looking all over online and in the haynes manual i cannot find anything about this linkage. we want to get this jeep back on the road ASAP, if someone can show me a diagram of the clutch and linkage and tell me how to fix this that would be great.

check your master cyl resivor first. if you dont have any fluid the clutch wont work. there isnt much linkage since you dont have a mechanical clutch. if you want to see the linkage lay on you back with a flashlight and look up behind the dash on the firewall. this is where the clutch pedal connects to the master cyl. I recommend checking your fluid level then looking for leaks down the inside of the firewall from the master cyl. I dont have much expirience with the internal slave cyl because my 94 is external.

i did not realize until looking at the parts catalog that it is a hydraulic clutch, no cables involved. :doh: what type of fluid is it? and where are comon leaks? if this is the case we may be able to drive it right off the parking lot where it's stuck.

Serveck said:
this is a new problem to me, i dont have much experience with drivetrains and transmissions. what im asking is what kind of transmission he has, it's a 1990 cherokee sport (i think) 2 door with the 5spd manual, i believe the np231 transfer case. i believe he has the Aisin-Warner AX15 5-speed manual (according to my research).

what's happening is when you go to push in the clutch pedal it does not disengage the clutch, and so you cannot put it into gear. what i believe happened is that the clutch linkage (or cable) snapped. however, even looking all over online and in the haynes manual i cannot find anything about this linkage. we want to get this jeep back on the road ASAP, if someone can show me a diagram of the clutch and linkage and tell me how to fix this that would be great.

the xj has a hydraulic clutch, not a mechanical clutch.

if it doesnt didemgage the clutch, its most likely the slave/throwout bearing. bad thing about the 90 is thats its internal and in the bellhousing.

also check that the clutch pedal didnt break of at the top where it connects to the pivot rod.

btw, i had both of these problems on my 89. clutch pedal broke and needed to be welded about 10 years ago and the slave went out last year.

Serveck said:
i did not realize until looking at the parts catalog that it is a hydraulic clutch, no cables involved. :doh: what type of fluid is it? and where are comon leaks? if this is the case we may be able to drive it right off the parking lot where it's stuck.

when the slave went on my 89 i was about 2 miles from home. i started the engine with it in gear. not fun.

shifting from 2-3, 3-4 was not a problem with out a clutch

i rolled through all the stop signs and made it home.

problem will be if you need to stop at a traffic light.

fluid is regular Dot 3 brake fluid

Check the master Cylinder for fluid level.

Check the hose for a rupture (Renix clutch has a seperate parts number for the clutch hose. Napa is the only place I found it and it was special order.)

Check the bottom of the bellhousing for a fluid leak, indicating the slave has gone bad.
If the slave has gone bad, plan on doing a clutch as well. no sense in pulling the trans and doing all that labor and not doing the clutch too.

Back