• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel problem, sticky, bumpy?

Backroads

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday my GF was saying her steering wheel was strange when turning. (its a 2000 with the airbag and all that nonsense attatched to it.....mine is a 94 so its beyond my knowledge :)

So I took it for a drive and after making a turn, usually a 90* turn where the wheel is at least a full revolution, when bringing it back to center its almost like its getting hung up, hard to describe but like a light hesitation, then goes, hesitation then goes. like its coming back in 'steps' I looked underneath, nothing seems to be in the way, PS fluid level is fine, any ideas or anyone have a similar experience?

twitchy ?

Inspect your front u-joints.

The clock spring has no effect on the feel of the steering.

Tim_MN said:
twitchy ?

Inspect your front u-joints.

The clock spring has no effect on the feel of the steering.

When they come apart inside it makes the steering feel like it hangs up, we replace them all the time, but when this happens you can hear it in the column.

There is no noise, and if you dont hold the wheel with both hands and pay attention, you would miss it. It is 'twitchy' like. it just hesitates as it comes back to center.

Wouldn't a bad clockspring throw a MIL code or light the airbag warning lamp?

Backroads said:
Nah no 4 wheel drive.

It's a 2WD ? Right ?

Have the alignment checked. Have them inspect the ball joints and tie rod ends.

I drove my 99 around for a couple weeks before I found replacements for the blown airbags, it felt the same either way.

its a 4wd model, i was just responding to the post asking if it was in 4wd. and it is in 2wd when this is happening. I will figure it out, just thought I'd post and maybe someone had experienced a similar thing and had some input on fixing it without a lot of trial and error

4wd Cherokee while in 2WD and the steering wheel twiches back and forth during a low speed turn - inspect and replace your u-joints.

Back