• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny pan

redneck1939

NAXJA Forum User
ok i did a quick search and found nothing i was taking the tranny pan (1989 aw4) out to put a new filter in and i took all the bolts out and i cant lower it cause the dip stick is holding it up i cant see anything holding it in so can you guys help me out? as always thanks

-Joey

Slow down and breathe - it's easier to understand you...

The dipstick tube has a junction a few inches above the bend into the sump pan. This junction is just pushed together and sealed with an o-ring - but it can get difficult over time. If you can, twist the pan a bit back and forth to break the crud loose from there.

Once you have the connection freed up, I find that applying a bit of "red moly" grease to the o-ring helps it come loose the next time. However, since the AW4 filter is little more than a metal strainer screen, you don't need to drop it very often (having the drain plug also helps...) About every third time you change the fluid should do - make sure you clean the magnet well this time, and you just need to clean the filter and check the magnet later (it shouldn't get too "hairy" after you clean it this time, and the filter can be quickly cleaned by removing it, blasting it with carburettor cleaner or brake cleaner from the top, then reinstall. Don't torque the screws very hard, and you'll be able to reuse that cork "gasket" that helps to seal it in place.)

since it has not been said yet, do not use any kind of permatex on the pan. just the gasket will be fine, and if you buy the filterkit form a parts store for around 20bucks you get a nice new rubber one

The dip stick tube is a two piece tube you should be able to just pull in down there is a o ring on the upper half so make sure you dont miss it up or just get a new o ring

Funny thing! I dropped the pan on my new trail rig today to service the filter and for the first time in 20 or so AW4's I've dropped the pan on I could not get the dipstick tube to release. I had to pull it with the tube in place and even with my 245lbs standing on the pan and pulling up on the tube it would not come loose. I sprayed some WD-40 at the joint and it slide right off! I wish I had thought about that 3 hours earlier!

The "O" ring was in real bad shape so I plan on a new one tomorrow and lube it good with some DOW-55, maybe it will give up easier on the next service.

trailrig1bc1.jpg

wolfpackjeeper said:
since it has not been said yet, do not use any kind of permatex on the pan. just the gasket will be fine, and if you buy the filterkit form a parts store for around 20bucks you get a nice new rubber one

Good advice! As you can see from the pic of my pan someone permatexed it on and I bent the pan trying to pop it off. I'll have to lay a straight edge on it and fix it. The gasket will be fine by itself, I have never had one leak as long as you cross torque the bolts so you bring the pan tight evenly. And do not over tighten the bolts, they will strip out.

While we are on the subject.. I did mine a few weeks back and I dont think I got the tube at the o-ring seated all the way. In the haynes book it says that by dropping the pan and doing the gasket it should take 4 qts of fluid but mine took almost 5. Did I over fill it? if i drain it just using the plug to "cycle " some more old fluid out and do a re-fill should I only put in 4 qts and leave it at that?

Back