• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buying a newer xj

Dewey

NAXJA Forum User
I currently own a 91 xj and am thinking about buying a newer one with less miles and rattles. I do mild offroading and rock crawling in the so cal deserts and would want to put a 4.5 lift on it. Are there any years or trim packages to keep away from. I am hoping to buy a 2000 or 2001.

If you want the nice interior go with the classic over the limited because it has the np231 tranfer case. Make sure not to get one with abs or you will be stuck with the d35.

Starboard M said:
The 2000 and 2001 are a lp d30, so that might or might not be a selling point.

Very good point especially considering you want a sizable lift. Maybe you can swap the front, high pinion, out of your 91 if you do go for a 2000 or 2001? Definately try to get a 29 spline 8.25 in the back instead of either a 27 spline 8.25 or a D35.

Sowell2000 said:
Very good point especially considering you want a sizable lift. Maybe you can swap the front, high pinion, out of your 91 if you do go for a 2000 or 2001? Definately try to get a 29 spline 8.25 in the back instead of either a 27 spline 8.25 or a D35.

I have a D44 sitting in the garage waiting to install

Didn't they switch over to a distibutor-less ignition in 99? I wouldn't be able to explain any strengths or weaknesses, but maybe someone can help out.

Dewey said:
What about changing out the front bumper. Can it be done if the XJ has air bags?

some of the models had the airbag control module under the seat, but they changed that in the late 90's. My 99 has the module munted under the storage compartment in the center console. You can change out the bumpers w/o any problems. As stated above, if you stay w/ a 99 down you dont have to worry about the heads with the casting number to be afraid of and you still get the HP D30.

what are the drawbacks of the 242.
btw i flat tow behind my motorhome.

242's don;t have as many sye options. You're pretty much limited to a hack-n-tap. Whereas a 231 theres plenty out there, eliminating any need to cut the shaft.

Back