• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D SHACKLE MOUNTS

WHITE XJ GENE

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question about welding some d shackle mounts to my stock xj bumper. I was wondering if the metal is thick enogh to weld mounts to it and actually be able to use them or will they just pull out of the metal?

WHITE XJ GENE said:
I have a question about welding some d shackle mounts to my stock xj bumper. I was wondering if the metal is thick enogh to weld mounts to it and actually be able to use them or will they just pull out of the metal?

Are you fricking kidding me? Go take a look at your cheap a$$ stamped steel bumper and rethink your question.

Here's my setup:

DSCN0753.jpg

DSCN0754.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

krackerjack87, the bracket goes back pretty far, but I only see one extra bolt per side? If you used the steering gear bolts and a couple more holes on the pass side I would feel better about pulling on it. I will give you an A for effort. And it is better than nothing.

Neal

Last edited:
Thank you for answering that for me that is a very clean set up you got there di you make your own brackets or did you buy them from somewhere.

and the guy that asked if i was kidding NO i was not thats why i asked if i knew i wouldnt have asked :smsoap: but those of you that had something constructive to say thanks very much

WHITE XJ GENE said:
Thank you for answering that for me that is a very clean set up you got there di you make your own brackets or did you buy them from somewhere.

and the guy that asked if i was kidding NO i was not thats why i asked if i knew i wouldnt have asked :smsoap: but those of you that had something constructive to say thanks very much

The pic's posted are alot different than what you asked. The front bumper of an XJ is a POS. DO NOT rely on IT as a tow point.

This is how I am hoping to solve the same problem you are asking about. Not sure if you know about this, so I thought I'd share it with you. Of course if you don't want to run a winch it would be over kill...

xjbb01.jpg

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

sgtmack said:
krackerjack87, the bracket goes back pretty far, but I only see one extra bolt per side? If you used the steering gear bolts and a couple more holes on the pass side I would feel better about pulling on it. I will give you an A for effort. And it is better than nothing.

Neal
he's grabbed all the bolts that the factory tow hooks use.
Though if you cut the fender bracket off you can use the bolt hole next to it with another 3/4" bolt.
grab the steering box bolts and make the other side match and that would be a very slick way to get recovery points on the stock bumper without having hooks hanging down.

I didn't make them- I bought them from the guy who actually made them. It would be nice to tie into the steering bolts and add a few other bolts to the passenger side (I'm not sure why the guy who made these didn't) for more strength but they've worked good so far. With the stock 3 bolts per side I wouldn't trust it but with the 3/4" bolt further back it probably will be fine. I actually don't have these on anymore and have a rocklizard bumper on now.

I second the backbone system, that is a hot setup!!

However, on one of my XJs I'm running factory tow hook brakets (which are pretty beefy) and I've got a hook on one side, and a thick 'L' bracket on the other side which I've got a shackle mounted on. I've got a bracket for the other side, but I kinda like the option of having one hook and one shackle.

muckleroy said:
This is how I am hoping to solve the same problem you are asking about. Not sure if you know about this, so I thought I'd share it with you. Of course if you don't want to run a winch it would be over kill...

xjbb01.jpg

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

This is the system I'll be going with also. Another member here, xjtrailrider, had DetourUSA build him the same mount without the winch mounting plate. That may be the best option.

Ed

PacificEd said:
This is the system I'll be going with also. Another member here, xjtrailrider, had DetourUSA build him the same mount without the winch mounting plate. That may be the best option.

Ed
Detours is a great system, I am completly impressed.
spacers1pf7.jpg

spacers2ye4.jpg

Last edited:
Back