• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running down a vibration/rumble

Glacialbass

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 92' XJ with High Country rear springs, and a 1 3/4" front coil spacers. I have been dealing with a vibration about 65mph since I got it (with sagging rear springs, and no spacers). It's not so much a vibration as much as it is a low resonance rumble of sorts. It lasts from 65 to about 70, and is independent of RPM.

I also had a whine coming from the rear diff after I put the new springs and spacers on (rumble/vibration was there before), so I replaced the entire rear axle (27 spline 8.25) as I got a great deal on one. This solved the noise, but the vibration remained.

I have checked the u-joints, and they seem to be good. No excessive play that I can detect, and they move nice and smooth. I had been running a transfer case drop kit as I thought that may help, but there was no change. I pulled it tonight to see if that made any difference, and it seems to have gotten worse. Now when on the highway at 55mph, if I let off the gas, and get back on it, there is a pronounced clunk of sorts coming from the rear.

It seems like every time I turn around it's something else on this thing. I have done a lot to it since I got it (to get it back up to par) and would rather not get rid of it, but I am getting close to that point. It is my DD and I find myself having to drive the GTO more and more so that I can fix the Jeep.

Any ideas on this one? Thanks in advance guys!

Justin

sounds like the tranny mount has gone bad. When you take a look at it, use a pry bar and you should be able to see the cracks or seperation. You may also want to look at the u-joints in the rear ds for excess play.

check your slip yolk for play. otherwise i"d get the drive shaft balenced. i know i cant spell, and i'll thank you for noticing :dunce:

Thanks for the advice guys. I replaced the transmission mount last night and took it for a drive. No more vibration. I still have a bit of the sound, but that may just be normal. Thanks again.

Back