• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hardware

Jump This

Just another minion!
Isn't there a company out there that makes some 'super' hardware?
Some thing along the lines of a Grade 10 or?
If I recall there is a company out there like H-9? that makes these types of
nuts and bolts...
Can't find them using a search engine...so I'm thinking I have the name wrong.
Any help here?

rick

Search for F911. I ordered some online for my steering before KOH and they weren't expensive. I don't remember which company it was.

lowrange2 said:
My local hardware store carries 10.something.

That's metric, and equivalent to grade 5.

Class 12. is equivalent to grade 8.

Poly performance used to sell F9 in 1/2" and 9/16".

I got mine from Allen Fasteners.....the first one that pops up on a Google search. One F911 5/8x4 fine thread bolt is $3.94.

A grade 9, 5/8 coarse thread bolt has a torque capacity of 250 ft lbs.

Jump This said:
Isn't there a company out there that makes some 'super' hardware?
Some thing along the lines of a Grade 10 or?
If I recall there is a company out there like H-9? that makes these types of
nuts and bolts...
Can't find them using a search engine...so I'm thinking I have the name wrong.
Any help here?

rick

Yes there is.... But for the life of me I cannot remember their name.... We used them at AAR......

I think it was ULTRA-something....... They have the tensile strength of like grade 8-10 but without the brittleness.....

I will work on finding out.....

A useful table I found a while back:

boltskm3.png

F911, thats it.
What is curious is that when I pulled my starter on my Cherokee that was the type of hardware used on it. The reason I was pulling my starter was to match the bolts for replacement on my son's starter, that had broken off.
I wonder if broken bolts on starters is all that common....

:dunno:

Rick

Why for you do want something stronger than SAE grade 8?

I believe some of the higher ASTM grades (structural) come out stronger than SAE grades (automotive,) but I'd have to look it up. But, I honestly can't think of anything where "higher than SAE8" would be something you'd need.

In 90% of cases, SAE5 will do - and will probably hold up better. Screw failures are usually traceable to a lack of preload on installation - for instance, your broken starter motor screws were probably loose before they broke. If they were torqued properly, there's a little bit of "stretch" involved and the metal is in its "elastic" range - which allows more "give."

I've even put studs on the starter motor (I believe that thread is M10-1.5m/m,) with good results - and it saves me trouble putting the thing in after taking it out for whatever reason (put the motor nose in the hole, put a nut on the stud, and then I have both hands free.) Since threaded rod is usually HT to SAE5/ISO PC 8.8 or so, and I've not had them break, strength isn't really a factor there.

What are you working on?

I'm sure a grade 8 or even 5 would work without flaw when properly torqued.
The F911 was not a bolt I installed (it was already installed on the starter when I bought the Jeep.) But the fact that it was installed on a Jeep that was probably a Grandpa's camping/fishing rig (it was cherry when I got it!)
made me wonder about starter bolt failures. Well, that and my son's recent problems with his starter bolts. I'd put large sums of money on 'loose hardware' as being the reason for the most recent failures.

That being said, those F911 bolts are damn sexy!!

:D

Rick

Back