• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto trans service: Drain/fill or BG flush?

Leica99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if it's worthwhile to have a shop with BG machines to flush the tranny on mt 99 XJ. I thought about just draining and filling it myself, but I know that I won't be able to get all the old fluid out. Is there a DIY way to flush the trans, or am I better off having a shop do it with a BG machine?

For reference, my XJ has 88k miles, I just bought it and I'm getting all the services up to date.

I have a friend that has 1. opened up all his ATF bottles.
2. disconnected tranny cooler lines.
3. put the output line in a 5 gallon bucket.
4. insert inlet line into each successive ATF Bottle (could put a bunch in another 5 gallon bucket... i would.)
5. Have a friend crank the beast up, and let it run. (here, i'd shift it through the gears, but i don't know if my friend would).
6. Keep an eye on the output and turn off and plug lines back into the cooler when things come clean.
7. Dipstick top the trans.

Friend is a good Mech. Me? I'd bring it into my shop and let my tech do it for me with the machine.

Well I seen this post on here and thought I would say a few things. I work at an automotive shop where the BG Products are used. Although some people say that these transmission services are bogues or whatever I'm here to say that that isn't the truth. The Bg products are very good and work with almost all transmissions. I have seen numerous cars come in iwth very black transmission oil and leave will fluid that looks brand new. I also use BG products in my Cherokee including the Coolant additive, MOA, and also have had my transmission flushed. OS in other words I am saying that it is worth it and you wont be disappionted.

I have been running the BG trans fluid for over a year(20,000+)miles.Fluid is still clear and pink,Really seems to be a shame to do another flush because the fluid looks sooo good,but it gets one soon.

Wayne

I use the equipment in my Dealership, but stick with OEM fluids. I have seen the tests on OEM fluid and Really cant argue the facts, but the machines work.

Back