• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS right?

COYOTE BLANCO

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have an occasional no start issue. I think I've got it narrowed down to the neutral safety switch. I get the fuel pump and all other electronics firing, but no click or anything from the starter. Sometimes you just hold the key at start for a few seconds and it will start, other times your waiting an hour or so. Used to be once a month or so now it's more like once a week. It'll start fine all day then one time bam, no start. Playing with the shifter used to seem to help but not so much anymore. Now it's just when it wants to start, it'll start. So I searched a little and looks like the NSS right? Had what I thought was the crank position sensor act up one day about a year ago but nothing since then. That day it would crank all day and act like it wanted to start but never would, then all of a sudden it fired and never did that again. How 'bout it, NSS?

definately sounds like a NSS issue. There is a quick fix until you either clean it or buy a new one. I used a screwdriver to ground the 2 bolts on the starter out and viola it starts. I only used that when I was desperate and it had no ill effects on the starter. Just make sure you are not touching any metal. There are write ups on Gojeeps page and also at jeepin.com that you could check out they have good pics and plenty of info

The cps would still allow it to crank it just wouldn't let it fire and start. With it not cranking that's the NSS, as mentioned check out www.go.jeep-xj.info and www.lunghd.com they've both got excellent articles for removing and rebuilding since new ones are so expensive.

COYOTE BLANCO said:
OK I have an occasional no start issue. I think I've got it narrowed down to the neutral safety switch. I get the fuel pump and all other electronics firing, but no click or anything from the starter. Sometimes you just hold the key at start for a few seconds and it will start, other times your waiting an hour or so. Used to be once a month or so now it's more like once a week. It'll start fine all day then one time bam, no start. Playing with the shifter used to seem to help but not so much anymore. Now it's just when it wants to start, it'll start. So I searched a little and looks like the NSS right? Had what I thought was the crank position sensor act up one day about a year ago but nothing since then. That day it would crank all day and act like it wanted to start but never would, then all of a sudden it fired and never did that again. How 'bout it, NSS?

It sounded like the NSS until you said you could hold the key at start for a few seconds and then it would start. That sounds more like the ignition switch on the column. You could also have a NSS issue, but if it sometimes starts when you just hold the key turned, you also have other issues.

I'd still say NSS-- if you have some dried-up grease stopping the contact in the switch you can sometimes "burn" through it once-or-twice using the heat generated by the resistance it causes. It worked on mine that way for a couple times, but the longer it went, the longer it would take the next time.
I'd clean the contacts in the switch as illustrated by others and install a bypass switch just in case it poops out again in the future.

here is an example of a bypass switch...I installed this after mine acted up...
I cleaned my NSS and everything is working now, but I also have this switch installed just in cas my NSS ever acts up again. One side of the switch is grounded to the XJ body and the othe side of the switch is connected to the Park/neutral circuit which enables the starter relay.
IMG_1015.jpg

Back