• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken part again

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
ok, well now i seem to have another problem..

broke the yoke on my rear drive shaft. was replacing the ujoint that failed, and when putting the clips on, they broke off a chunk of the yoke where they sit.

anyone know where to get a new yoke.. i need it asap, i am without a vehicle as of now, well i could just drive w/ front wheel drive i guess, but don't wanna mess anything up

transfer case is a np 231

here is what i need incase you are lost, the local parts store doesn't carry it, no rear drive stuff at all

notice the nice missing piece on the second picture

DSCF2213.jpg

DSCF2215.jpg

i'm never one to be short on cash, and didn't think that there were still people out there like Tom, but hey, there actually is. and from now on i to will be like Tom and help out, as i already did, but more often than usual now.

Thanks again Tom

I gave a running 1989 XJ Laredo to a buddy of mine.......was going to part it out, but he uses it for a beater Jeep, and i always get to ride shotgun with him now......hated to part it out, since it ran like a top, but the body was SHOT, lol.....got me a 92 now.....its rusted out like swish cheese in the rockers, but runs like a champ.....ill deal with the rockers before next inspection time.......

I think while you wait for the new part to arrive, you can probably use the broken one, if you make sure the c-clip is turned so its open part is toward the break. However, you need to figure out how and why it broke, and I think you should take the joint apart again, because I suspect a needle came loose and landed in the bottom of a cup. It's a common problem, and when it happens you can't put the joint all the way together.

Matthew Currie said:
I think while you wait for the new part to arrive, you can probably use the broken one, if you make sure the c-clip is turned so its open part is toward the break. However, you need to figure out how and why it broke, and I think you should take the joint apart again, because I suspect a needle came loose and landed in the bottom of a cup. It's a common problem, and when it happens you can't put the joint all the way together.

new part already installed.. indeed though it was a pin that fell into the cap..

problem solved w/ new part and more grease to hold the pins in place... i love NAXJA nice people, that help when in a bind..

thanks people

stxcherokee said:
what is a yj?

Just to answer this one... a YJ is a Wrangler, '87-'95... rectangular headlights, leaf sprung... turned into a TJ in '97, round headlights, coil sprung, no Wranglers produced in '96, due to re-tooling for the new TJ for '97... MJ is the Comanche pickup (looks like a Cherokee),XJ is a Cherokee, ZJ is the Grand Cherokee from '93 to '98 ... WJ is Grand from '99 to current year, and the KJ is the Liberty...WHEW!

Last edited:
mopar440 said:
Just to answer this one... a YJ is a Wrangler, '87-'95... rectangular headlights, leaf sprung... turned into a TJ in '97, round headlights, coil sprung, no Wranglers produced in '96, due to re-tooling for the new TJ for '97... MJ is the Comanche pickup (looks like a Cherokee),XJ is a Cherokee, ZJ is the Grand Cherokee from '93 to '98 ... WJ is Grand from '99 to current year, and the KJ is the Liberty...WHEW!

you left out CJ, which i'm presumming is pre 87 w/ the V8's

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MA: In 1941 this was the first prototype in the development of the Jeep. The M indicates a military vehicle and the A the first model.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MB: This is the standard WWII military Jeep built from 1942-1945. The B indicated the second model of the series. (Just a note the Ford versions of the same Jeep were called the GPW. G for government, P for 80 inch wheel base and W for Willys.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-2: The first of the civilian model Jeeps. CJ stands for Civilian Jeep built from 1944-1945.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-2A: Civilian Jeep built from 1945-1949[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-3A: Civilian Jeep built from 1948-1953, slight differences in body measurement.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]M-38: A military version of the CJ-3A but without tailgate and other modifications. Willys called it the MC model. Built from 1950-1955.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-3B: Very similar to CJ-3A but had a higher hood and allowed the use of the F-head engine. 1953-1964.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]M-606: Military version of the CJ-3B built from 1954-1968.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-4: Prototype in 1950 never saw production.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-V35U: Modified CJ-3A built in 1950 for the Navy.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VJ: Early 2 wheel drive Jeepsters built in 1949-1950.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]M38A1: Military Jeep. Also known as the MD was a forerunner to the CJ-5. Built between 1954-1957 and maybe as far as 1971.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FC-150: This was a pickup, cab forward, 80 inch wheelbase built from 1956-1964.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FC-170: This was a pickup, cab forward, 103 inch wheelbase built from 1957-1964.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-5: Civilian Jeep, 81 inch wheelbase built from 1954-1971 and the 83.5 inch wheelbase from 1972-1986.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-6: Civilian Jeep with a 20 " longer wheelbase than the CJ5 built from 1956-1975.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-7: Updated CJ-5 with a 93.5" wheelbase built from 1976-1986.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-8: Pickup design with a 103.5" wheelbase called the Scrambler. Built from 1982-1986.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CJ-10: Pickup version 110" wheelbase built for the military and sold overseas there was a shorter model call the CJ-10A.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]C-101: Jeepster built from 1966-1973.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]M-151: Military vehicle built by Jeep and designed by Ford. Full independent suspension with a unibody design.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]M-422/M-422A1: Built by AMC for the Marines in 1964.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]M-715: 1 1/4 ton truck built by Jeep in 1967-1969.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DJ: various models of 2 wheel drive Jeeps similar to some CJ models.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MJ: The Jeep Comanche pickup. Built from 1986-1992. J stands for Jeep and M is just a model number.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]XJ: The Jeep Cherokee built from 1984-2001.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SJ or FSJ: A Fullsize Jeep Wagoneer or Cherokee built from 1963-1991.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]J: A fullsize Jeep Gladiator pickup built from 1963-1987.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]YJ: The Jeep Wrangler model built from 1987-1996.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TJ: The Jeep Wrangler model built form 1997-Current.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ZJ: The Grand Cherokee built from 1993-1998.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WJ: The current Grand Cherokee model built from 1999-current.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]KJ: The new Jeep Liberty.[/FONT]

Happy?

Back